Habitat - Indoor :: Where can I get large stones for the bottom of the tank?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:29 pm   Where can I get large stones for the bottom of the tank?

I noticed that Pepe is eating his gravel! I am using the same gravel from his old tank (I recently upgraded) in this tank. I contacted his prior owner and she said he's always done that and it's no big deal. Well, he is passing them, but I am sure that cannot be good for him. This poor turtle was sooooo not taken care of. The more I find out about the last 4 years of his life, the more irritated I am with his former owner! I took out the small gravel, but do want to have something on the bottom of the tank for aesthetic reasons.

I have gone to 5 fish/pet stores seeking big stones like the size of his head, and no one carries it. Does anyone know of an online place where I can order some?
beaner
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sep 28, 2009

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:33 pm   

Well, if you have access to them....Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot all carry a selection of rocks/stones. Much cheaper than buying them from a pet store.
Sraustin
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Aug 27, 2009
Location: NW Arkansas

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:25 pm   

Yes, you can get them from a hardware type store, or sometimes even a dollar store.
Though I've never bought rocks. I collected all of mine from beaches and such. If you collect them from outside, give them a good scrub to get the big stuff off, then boil them in a big pot for about 20 minutes.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:10 pm   

some pet stores might have them too...but most of the time its gravel WHICH YOU SHOULD NOT GET.

you can go out and find these stones and rocks if you want like bulldog said. thats what i did
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
User avatar
blackforces get you
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: May 28, 2008
Location: Bronx New York City

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:44 pm   

home depot or lowes
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:53 am   

Take a walk to a nearby stream, perhaps? Try to boil or clean the rock really well
before putting it in the tank.
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
User avatar
Kemul
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Aug 31, 2008
Location: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:38 pm   

I live in the city of Chicago. We don't have rocks or streams. ;) I'll check out Home Depot. I don't shop at Walmart for ethical reasons, but, hopefully, Home Depot will have some, I didn't think about that. Thanks!
beaner
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sep 28, 2009


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 115 guests