Habitat - Indoor :: Silica sand safe for turtle?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:08 pm   Silica sand safe for turtle?

i have been doing some research on sand and it seems like silica sand is a safe sand to use in an aquarium. I read somewhere that it is generally a cleaner sand, expecially when the sand gets sturred up. But I figured I would run the idea thru here and see what some people say. 55 gallon tank, looking at about 40 lbs of sand to get a little over an inch of sand on the bottom. Possible gonna go for 2 inches to hide the bubble wands and all that fun stuff. The sand I found only comes in 100lb bags and is a $8.00
atagtmeier
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Aug 3, 2009

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:09 pm   

I wouldn't do it. Silica sand is usually sold for sand blasting and is probably too sharp. Not a big deal for fish but your turtle is more likely to ingest some of it. Try play sand or pool filter sand instead.
User avatar
thegrandpoohbah
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Oct 14, 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:14 am   

Pool filter sand might be better since they tend to use a fine grade sand for pool filters. Dont get me wrong play sand is a fine grade to but I think the pool sand is a finer (less rough) grade.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:24 pm   

i am noticing that the play sand also has larger pieces of rock. I started picking some of it out but i keep finding more and more.
atagtmeier
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Aug 3, 2009


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 116 guests