Habitat - Indoor :: Which filter for a 75 gallon? What's the best?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:08 pm   Which filter for a 75 gallon? What's the best?

Title says it all. I thought I had figured out what I wanted, then somebody suggested I was getting too BIG of a filter... now I'm very confused.

What is the best option for a 75 Gallon tank?

New? Used? Fluval? Rena? Fluval 404? Fluval Fx5?

What would you do. I want excellent filtration. What would YOU get, and WHY?

Thanks
TurtleKeeper48
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Jun 14, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:27 pm   

fluval 405 is a good choice, i just got one.. :D
chinkieboy
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Oct 11, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:24 pm   

Well First things first, with RES and Filters, Buy the biggest, macho"ist" you can get your hands on. I learned the hard way. Turtles are messy with their waste, remember, anywhere for them is the toilet...

I recently switched to a Fluval Fx5, and it works fantastic on my 75 gallon !
I love the spaces for the mechanical foam padding.
Another good side is, with the FX5, you wont have to upgrade for a loooong time.

rena on the other hand is just as great, but I prefer the FX5, seems to have more of a kick to it but then again I have grown attached to the fluval name...
Owner Of A 3 inch RES And Excited As Heck To Have One.

Finally Named Him Rocket! Go Rocket!
User avatar
Newbie_Owner
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Aug 19, 2009
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:44 am   

Fluval FX5 or Rena XP4 are my choices. The Fluval x04/x05 series filters are not designed as well. Eheim are great filters too but costly.
User avatar
thegrandpoohbah
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Oct 14, 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:01 pm   

I used to have the 404 on my 75 gal, and about a year ago I switched to the FX5, and it does a better job. I really like the FX5s.

As for new or used, that depends on what you can find. If you can get a good deal on a used filter that looks like it is in pretty good condition, and has all the parts (including hoses), then go for it. You can find a new one for $200-250 on ebay.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:54 pm   Fluval FX5 question..

I'm looking for a filter for my 90 gal tank that I only fill 3/4 the way up until I create an external basking area. The specs for the FX5 say this in the owners manual...
"The water level should never be more than 7.8 in.(20 cm)below your aquarium rim."

Does anyone run it okay without meeting this requirement? It looks like a really nice filter. I have a magnum 350 right now that needs changing every 2-3 weeks. Not having to change the filter so often would be awesome!
dolphint9
 
Posts: 1
Joined: May 9, 2009

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:39 pm   

I don't have an FX5, but the canister would be under your tank. The tubes in that setup might require a bit more effort to prime, but should be fine once it's running.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:15 pm   

I have a Rena XP3 that the guys here recommended me when I first got my turtles (2 years ago) - Love the thing. Keep my tank spotless, quick-release makes the thing super easy to clean out to.

I see theres an XP4 now - Looks like about a $50 dollar differnce between the XP3/XP4 on bigalsonline.com Might be worth it to upgrade - but TBH, I use a XP3 in a 90 gallon tank...and it keeps it spotless. But then again I don't think theres such a thing as "too clean!" when it comes to turtles!

...wonder if using a XP3 and XP4 in a 90 gallon is over kill...keekeekee :)
User avatar
DocShay
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Oct 31, 2007

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:20 pm   Re: Fluval FX5 question..

dolphint9 wrote:I'm looking for a filter for my 90 gal tank that I only fill 3/4 the way up until I create an external basking area. The specs for the FX5 say this in the owners manual...
"The water level should never be more than 7.8 in.(20 cm)below your aquarium rim."

Does anyone run it okay without meeting this requirement? It looks like a really nice filter. I have a magnum 350 right now that needs changing every 2-3 weeks. Not having to change the filter so often would be awesome!



I run FX5 (LOVE IT) on a 75 gallon tank and have had the water level lower than that. I had to cut down the hard plastic tubes that go into the water.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
User avatar
imderanged
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Dec 25, 2007


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 138 guests