Habitat - Indoor :: 10mm or 12mm glass?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:23 am   10mm or 12mm glass?

Hi everyone! I'm new here, and this is my first post!
I will upload some pictures of my two little RES's at the right sub-forum later... :wink:

I got a question for you guys,
At these days, my two little RES's are living in a 100x45x50 aquarium.
I would like to upgrade the tank so I won't have to replace it when they'll grow up.

I found something wich seems perferct for me, a 2nd hand tank, size: 130x60x70. BUT, the glass is 10mm; is it enoughf or too risky???



Thank you for your responds!
Turtie. :D
turtie
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Oct 25, 2009

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:59 pm   

Welcome!

The 130x60x70 tank may or may not be big enough for two adult RES. If it turns out your two RES don't get along, it might be a bit on the small side to divide down the middle, but it would be a nice size for just one RES if you decided to do two separate tanks.

As for the thickness, was the tank meant to hold water? There are aquariums, and there are "terrariums". Terrariums are not built to hold water, but aquariums are.

Do you know much about the tank? Was it home built? Did the previous owner have fish or reptiles in it?

My 75 gallon tank has about 8mm glass, and my 90 gal has 10 mm. The tank you're looking at works out to about 150 gal. I'm certainly no expert on tank size vs. glass thickness, but I would think that the tank is more likely to give at the corners on the silicone seal.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:12 pm   

Thanks for your comment! :)

The tank, techniqily, is for water. I'm affraid that 10mm can't hold it very well and the tank could collapse after a while.

What is the idial tank size for two RES's ? and how fast they grow to the max size? they are very small right now. I don't think I can put a bigger tank in my room ATM.... :oops:
turtie
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Oct 25, 2009

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:14 pm   

http://www.austinglass.com.au/aquariums.html
http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/planasystem/ig/Guide-Charts--Tables--Diagrams/Glass-Thickness-Calculator.htm

here are a couple of websites for tank building the second site has a thickness calculator. the higher the number under the thickness, the safer it is. if your measurements are in cm with the length across the top and height on the sides. now by the chart its prob not a "tank" of tanks but im sure its not unheard of to have a tank that size with that thickness. Is there any bracing on the tank at the top or just open? that would increase the safety. And if your still concerned, id fill it up in the yard or garage on some stable flat ground and leave it for a couple of days. If the glass deflects 1/4" when full it might be a bit dangerous, but its better to break out there then in your room. also to note my old 125 the front bows i bet 1/8" its kinda unearveing but its a hagen tank and like 15 years old so its kinda tested and true.
Pretty much as newb as they come.
zum14
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Oct 1, 2009

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:44 pm   

Thanks again!

I found many things that I don't like in this specfic tank so I decided not to buy it.

Anyway, still, can you please tell me what is the idial tank size for two RES's ? and how fast they grow to the max size? they are very small right now. I don't think I can put a bigger tank in my room ATM....



Turtie :wink:
turtie
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Oct 25, 2009


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 121 guests