Habitat - Indoor :: Donnies new basking area

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:04 am   Donnies new basking area

I finally got around to getting Donnie's tile cut for his basking area. It's been over a week now and he still seems pretty terrified of it. I've only seen him up there twice and he gets right back down once he's had a look around. I've seen him try and bask at the top of the dock, but not out on the tile, and that was only like once for about 30 minutes a few days ago. I'm sure he's gotten up there while he's had the room to his own though. Any time I place him up there he has the same reaction as he did when I first got it installed and placed him on the tile, runs to a wall and and just keeps running because he can think he can get out, and once he sees where the water is he bolts for it. Hope he gets use to it soon. Here's some pictures.

Image
Image

Also got him a few Rosy Reds the other day for the first time and I didn't see it but he seems to have eaten two of the three. Both were missing within 12 hours, the third has been in there for 2-3 days now and Donnie seems to ignore him. Here's a picture of Donnie swimming near the minnow. Either this one is too small and quick for Donnie to see and keep up with or he decided he didn't like the fish =D

Image
User avatar
xstefanx
 
Posts: 111
Joined: May 4, 2009

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:06 am   

Wow, entirely larger then I wanted them to be, too lazy to reupload though
User avatar
xstefanx
 
Posts: 111
Joined: May 4, 2009

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:26 am   

Very nice! Don't worry, I'm sure he'll get used to the basking area. You could try putting some food up there and see if it disappears.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:27 am   

Will he actually eat it up there? I thought they couldn't eat out of water. Or do you just mean that he'd carry it to the water to eat it, which is actually kind of a funny thought.
User avatar
xstefanx
 
Posts: 111
Joined: May 4, 2009

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:42 am   

xstefanx wrote:Will he actually eat it up there? I thought they couldn't eat out of water. Or do you just mean that he'd carry it to the water to eat it, which is actually kind of a funny thought.


He ment he would carry it back down into the water. Your correct on the eating out of the water.
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:26 pm   

ooo a xp4. that set up looks really good. but it could get better. don't you think?
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
User avatar
blackforces get you
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: May 28, 2008
Location: Bronx New York City

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:22 pm   

Yeah, I mean, I guess it could but at this point I'm not entirely sure what to add. Like I'd like to redo the Plexiglass because a piece broke where I didn't want it to and my alignment wasn't great on it either. I'd also like to put a piece of cork bark or something on the tile. But I mean other then that I'm not entirely sure what else to do. I've been considering a few fish, maybe some that he'd not eat?
User avatar
xstefanx
 
Posts: 111
Joined: May 4, 2009


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 137 guests