Habitat - Indoor :: Fish and turtles?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:46 pm   Fish and turtles?

Hi my name is Kitty. I am new here and have a few questions.
I have 2 RES each about 3 inches long. They ended up with me because a friend moved to FL and couldn't keep them. Now they are living in a too small tank and need all sorts of things..... I am looking to get a 55 gal and was thinking of also getting some fish so it looks nice. Any suggestions? Also any suggestions on where to get second hand supplies? I figure people always get rid of tanks and such! I live in NJ. Thanks
maedusa109
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Nov 22, 2009

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:40 pm   

A 55 gallon is already too small for them. Ideally you want 10 gallons of water per inch of turtle, so I would recommend you get a larger tank now so you won't have to upgrade later (it saves you a lot of money). If you're not willing to pay a large amount of money for a bigger tank, you could get a stock tank since they're a lot cheaper than aquariums.

You can check out sites like craigslist.com where they have lots of good deals, you just have to keep looking.

As for the fish, any kind that you put in your turtle tank will become food sooner of later. So if you want the fish and turtles to be tank buddies, I'm afraid that won't work.
Check out my blog at: http://turtleaffairs.wordpress.com/
Tank #1:
~Charlie - 4 inch male RES
Tank #2:
~Charlotte - 6 inch female RES
worldpeace
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Jun 29, 2009
Location: Canada
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:10 pm   

if u must have fish do what i do and have guppies, i only have about 7 or 8 i think but ehy reproduce so as the get eaten they get replaced
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:57 pm   

I have two large rosies and a large comet AKA gold fish in my tank normally. If some gets eaten :( . I can get a new one cheap. But for some reason I have a 8 dollar fish in there. My mom said she wanted it .. but she had not put her tank up to keep it .
Please excuse any spelling and/or grammatical errors. I'm dyslexic.I do my best!
User avatar
joeybsmooth
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Apr 19, 2008
Location: South Carolina


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 96 guests