Habitat - Indoor :: Bare Bottom Question

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:23 am   Bare Bottom Question

I was wondering people that have nothing on the bottom of their tanks. Does those help keep it cleaner ?
Please excuse any spelling and/or grammatical errors. I'm dyslexic.I do my best!
User avatar
joeybsmooth
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Apr 19, 2008
Location: South Carolina

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:56 am   

I can tell you that it really does. Because of that my tank is clean all the time. I spend 5 minutes every week to take out the poop that collects on the bottom, but it's nothing compared to the water changes I used to do when I had rocks in there. And I found that with with gravel and even river rocks, you can never completely clean the bottom because something is always hiding underneath a rock or whatnot. I even changed my fish tank into a bare bottom.
Check out my blog at: http://turtleaffairs.wordpress.com/
Tank #1:
~Charlie - 4 inch male RES
Tank #2:
~Charlotte - 6 inch female RES
worldpeace
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Jun 29, 2009
Location: Canada
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:53 am   

Heh, I haven't tried anything other than bare bottom yet, but imagining the hassle of having to pick out and clean river rocks frequently seems like a big chore. Sand might be OK since I hear it doesn't trap debri, but then you have to deal with straining it and the cloudy water after you put it in and, and have it get cloudy again every time you do a full water change... just seems a bit too much hassle for a pretty much purely cosmetic effect.
User avatar
Seroster
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Oct 8, 2009

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:53 am   

It does keep the tank cleaner but it leaves the tank unattractive. Try getting big rocks. A couple of bigger rocks with some aquatic plants in between them is an easy way to have a cleaner and at the same time attractive tank. Small rocks and sand will always trap some crap inside.
Red eared sliders are for life, not just the weekends.

The proud father of:
12 Red Eared Sliders:
4 adult females
4 adult males
2 young females
2 young males
aal
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Nov 21, 2009
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:15 am   

The only down side is that bare bottom tanks dont dull down there nails as much compared to someone with something on the bottom.

I always notice this when i bring my turtles inside for the winter.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:14 pm   

i used to have a bare bottom but i didnt like the looks of it so i put some ceriamic tiles down now it looks like sand
Thank you....
~Brody
raptr20
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Jan 27, 2008
Location: Bridgeport CT
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:42 pm   

I was thinking about doing the ceramic tile thing, what does one need to consider when making them prepaired to be underwater and turtle-safe? Anything special?
User avatar
Seroster
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Oct 8, 2009

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:57 pm   

Just do a couple of rinses. Make sure when you put it in a tub the water doesn't cloud up. That's about it.
Red eared sliders are for life, not just the weekends.

The proud father of:
12 Red Eared Sliders:
4 adult females
4 adult males
2 young females
2 young males
aal
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Nov 21, 2009
Location: Singapore, South East Asia

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:27 am   

i dont know if this is true, but ceramic tiles i have heard also provide biomedia for helpful bacteria to grow?
2 RES
Wanting more
But the Wife is Stubborn
Abomb
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Dec 2, 2009
Location: New Mexico

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:54 pm   

anything you put in the tank will become biomedia, the more surface area you have to cover the more beneficial bacteria you have growing on those surfaces
SpenceMasta
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Aug 6, 2008
Location: nyc

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:35 pm   

i had a barebottom and my turtle started biting its feet because I think she was bored. It definitely stays cleaner tho.

I keep about 8 -10 bigger rocks on the bottom and it is a good compromise. I pull them out and run them thru my dishwasher when I clean the tank. It is a little bit of a pain but not to bad and my turtles definitely like having something on the bottom.

She doesn't bite her feet anymore. I also put in a few golf balls. It is funny watching them try to bite it and then seeing it roll away from them.
I have two female red ear sliders.
Chimpy - 5.5 inches
Chompy- 6.0 inches
Both were born about 7/2007
Got them -- 9/2007
User avatar
bradmeisel
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Nov 2, 2008
Location: Flushing, New York

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:08 pm   

To make bare bottoms look less boring, I spray paint the bottom of the tank a sand color. I think the turtle may benefit from not being able to see below his floor. Here are pics of Henry Winklers feeding tank.
Image
Image
Image[/img]
pbullblue
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Nov 19, 2009
Location: Reading, PA

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:23 pm   

golf balls I like that idea.
1 Female RES 6 in.
4'x2-1/2'x2' Tank
1 Mangrove Monitor 3.5 ft
10'x10'x6' Enclosure
User avatar
akaghettoraver
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sep 28, 2006
Location: Honduras

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:42 pm   

pbullblue^^ That actually looks pretty great!!
2 red ear sliders, 2 green iguanas, 1 Chinese Water Dragon

I love Basketball And Reptiles
User avatar
freshprince2146
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sep 28, 2009
Location: Queens,NY


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 151 guests