Habitat - Indoor :: Where to buy a big tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:05 pm   Where to buy a big tank

Hey everyone, I want to upgrade my tank size for my red eared slider and maybe get another one. I have my one female in a 20 long tank and obviously she needs a bigger tank, I was just wondering how big I should go, and what kind of tank. I was looking at a 55 gallon or a 75 or something but they all seem really narrow and rectangular, is that okay? or should I look for a tank that is more squarish? just wondering what type of tank is best for a turtle, I am willing to spend quite a bit of money, I just want to make sure I get the right thing.
Rich
Richard.Amato
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Nov 30, 2009

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:16 pm   

For sure skip the 55, and maybe even the 75. A standard 75 gallon tank has a 48"x18" foot print. A 90 gallon has the same footprint, but is taller.
Since you have a female, you're going to eventually need at very minimum a 75, and anything bigger is better. Now, depending on how big she is, and how big she's going to get, a standard 75 or 90 might not work for width. My female is in a 90, and she's only 8.5". She has enough room to turn around comfortably, but if she were any bigger, it'd be a tight fit.

That's why my *favourite* tank is a 4'x2'x2' 120 gallon. It is a standard size, though I find here they are in demand. It's nice because it still fits in a 4' space (the next size up is usually a 6' tank), but it's also nice and wide for turtle.

As for getting a second turtle, don't do it. Your older, established female will view the new turtle as an intruder, and fight with it. If the new turtle is smaller, then your gal could end up killing it. Even if they did get along, you'd need a 200 gal+ tank.
First work on upgrading your current RES's tank, and then, once she's all settled, if you still want to get another turtle, consider setting up a second tank.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:57 pm   

with turtles you're going to want wider and longer as opposed to taller. my 135 is 72"x18"x24"

I would prefer it to be wider, but the length makes up for it.

Get the biggest tank you can. Look on CraigsList to start, that's where I found mine. Don't upgrade only because you want to get another turtle, because that may not even work out as planned.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:35 pm   

There is a site call Glasscages.com that has lots of variety in tank sizes. They also have the option of designing your own tank dimensions.

you will definitely want to go with a long and wide tank as opposed to a tall one. lengthx24x24 is a pretty good standard for adult turtles. Res's can top out at 12 for females and 10 for males. This is an extreme but the afore mentioned tank dimensions would harbor a 12 in female comfortably.
where are we going... and why am I in this handbasket?
Drake33535
 
Posts: 13
Joined: May 28, 2008


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 100 guests