Habitat - Indoor :: What kind of wood?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:47 pm   What kind of wood?

I am in the beginning phase of building an ATBA. I have read that plywood can be poisonous if it gets wet mixed with the heat of the basking area. So my question is, what is a good, strong, and lightweight wood that would be safe for an ATBA with the chance of the wood getting wet??
Bigdadd07
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Dec 29, 2009
Location: Arkansas

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:51 pm   

i just went to home depot and bought a board that i knew would be able to meet my needs. i forget what kind if was. but i made the bottom of it a piece of tile so if it got wet it would be fine. sorry i cant help about the wood
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:59 pm   

I think you'll want something untreated, and probably not cedar. Not sure what other restrictions there are, since I've never used plywood in the tank.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:24 am   

I used redwood to frame my ATBA; it resists rot. It gets damp from the air bubbles splashing/spraying onto it regularly, but not wet enough to contaminate the water, seemingly.

Please see my pictures in my new post, if you like....

And, the redwood I used was so light weight, relatively. And sturdy, easy to cut and drill. Rather perfect, actually, plus it looks nice without staining or varnishing, which is very important.

You'll not be putting the wood directly into the tank water itself, right?

I hope that helps,
Take care,
V Lou

I have:
2 kitties
lots of plants
1 female RES, Itai, 1 female Western Painted, Daisey. They have lots of colorful pet fish and about 770 gal water.
V Lou
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Dec 9, 2009
Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 140 guests