Habitat - Indoor :: Water Quality advice needed

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:45 pm   Water Quality advice needed

I just had to do a much bigger water change than I normally do and set up a new filter because mine died. I was unfortunately not able to use any of the biological media from the old filter. I know this means by tank needs to cycle again and I just tested the water quality and I’m looking for some advice because I haven’t done this in a long time. It’s been about four weeks since I set everything up.

**NOTE: it’s very important to not catastrophize or make things feel like they’re dire to me because I have extreme anxiety surrounding pet health. If you can’t avoid this please feel free not to respond!**

What would you do if 3-4 weeks after a major unexpected water and filter change, your water quality numbers looked like this:

pH: 6.0
Ammonia 4 ppm
Nitrite 0.5 ppm
Nitrate 5.0 ppm

Right now I’m thinking of adding API Quickstart. My turtle was on antibiotics and some of them might have gotten into the water. I’m also thinking of adding API PH UP. And of course just waiting. Does that sound like a good plan? Is there anything you would add or not do? Thank you for your help!
---------------------------------------
Julie
julieruble

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:11 pm   Re: Water Quality advice needed

I'd start with a partial change. RES are a lot more tolerant of water quality than fish. Are you using any carbon media? That would help absorb any medications left in the water.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:51 pm   Re: Water Quality advice needed

Thank you, I will try that! I usually do use carbon media but just set up a new fluval and didn’t add any pouches because it came with its own media. I will add it in during the next filter media change!
---------------------------------------
Julie
julieruble

Return to Habitat - Indoor