Habitat - Indoor :: Suggestions Please

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:46 pm   Suggestions Please

Which basking platform am I better off with

Acrylic

Homemade (like with bricks or stones)

ZooMed turtle dock

Above tank platform


my turtles are 2 years so I want something they can grow into

Suggestions or comments greatly appreciated :D
User avatar
turboturtle8
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Apr 4, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:31 pm   

it all depends on that you want your set up to be when they get older
I have 5 RES, 2 ASN, and 1 DBT
iac637
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Charleston SC

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:51 pm   

I would probably want something big for both of them to fit on.
what would you recommend???
2 RES Jack and Turbo
1 Shih-tzu/Poodle mix Cookie
User avatar
turboturtle8
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Apr 4, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:51 pm   

What kind of look do you want the tank to have? How big is the tank---do you need or want to maximize swimming space?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:43 pm   

Were probably going to end up getting a 100 gal tank. I would like to have lots of swimming space.It does'nt really matter what the dock look likes as long as it makes them happy
2 RES Jack and Turbo
1 Shih-tzu/Poodle mix Cookie
User avatar
turboturtle8
 
Posts: 2355
Joined: Apr 4, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:01 pm   

I'd go with the above tank platform, they look pretty simple to build, and they're going to not only give your turtles the most basking area, but also maximize the tank space! I think if you're looking for something permanent it's the way to go. I'm dying to build them for mine, I hate having to waste the inches of depth necessary to keep the tank escape proof.
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
User avatar
Starchick
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Jan 3, 2007
Location: central NY

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:41 am   Suspended Basking Area

I have a 125 gallon tank. I suspended the wood basking area's I have at each end of the tank from the top of the tank. This allow's the turtles unrestricted movement under the basking area'a to swim. It works graet and the turtles have more room
Turtlefun
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Apr 27, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:18 am   

i prefer the home made type. it's crafty, cheap and easier than you'd think. the zoomed turtle dock is likable, but those bars... turts get stuck in those bars.
The menagerie: 1 cat//1 pleco////1 glass fish//2 snails//2 ghost shrimp//4 red ear sliders//5 tetras//5 guppies
.This.is.Madness.
User avatar
pumpkinsherbet
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Dec 31, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:05 pm   

I too have this same problem, I want to get a bigger tank or use an existing 65 gallon that we have. I just don't know how to build a basking area. I love the idea of having an above tank set up. And I have seen that there are several ways to do it. I just don't know where to start or how to finish.
2 RES~ Cereal Box & Cheerios
2 Ferrets ~ Alaska & Snowball
2 Cats ~ Jasmine & Cinder
1 Dog ~ Summer
1 Cockatiel ~ Slice
Fish & Snails & 2 Frogs
User avatar
alexis_906
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mar 28, 2007
Location: Mesa, Arizona

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:38 pm   

Above tank platform - gives more swimming space and more basking space there cheep to build and work great
notoch351
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Apr 11, 2007
Location: Ontario Canada


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 122 guests