Habitat - Outdoor :: has anyone?

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:59 pm   has anyone?

first off i have 2 turtles in a 125 gallon tank. but for the summer i want to have something for them outside also...

i was thinking about using a BIG water trough.. like one of those black rubber ones from tsc? i wanted to build a nice looking brick wall up around it to hide it. i was thinking about using one of those pool pumps? like the blue pools at walmart with the blow up ring at the top? could that work? is there a way to cut into the water trough and use that pool filter in it and seal it up so it wont leak? and will that filter do a good job? or is there another filter that would do better? i know nothing about filters for outside? how much would a good one cost? :mrgreen:
ashleygamergirl

Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:00 pm   Re: has anyone?

If it can hold water, then yes you can probably use it. Are you looking at stock tanks? I don't know much about pool pumps, but any particular reason it has to be one? Do you plan on keeping them out for the entire summer?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:53 pm   Re: has anyone?

no reason to be a pool pump just thought it might work. lol and no they wont stay in it at all times i have a very nice setup in the house the 125 gallon tank. what should i use for a pump?
ashleygamergirl

Post Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:57 pm   Re: has anyone?

yea a stock tank thinking like 300 gallon and going to build a wall up around it to make it look pretty lol. how much would a pump cost for that?
ashleygamergirl

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:14 am   Re: has anyone?

what i was using for mine for the summer was a 600 gal 20$ plastic pool from walmart in the pool section. they have like a 300 gal for 10$ and one double the size for 20$ that is 600 gal or something. they work GREAT but they dont last SUPER long because of course they are all plastic and rocks usually poke holes in them (my yard is filled with those little rocks). I had mine set up for a good 6 months before i got my first hole tho because i got lazy on cleaning but if your yard has grass then it will prob last WAY Longer. the only prob is algae, my pool would get green every like 2 weeks or so and they are a hassle to clean but you can get that algae away from petsmart ( i never used it cuz im poor lol)

but yeah, the plastic pools at wal mart are cheap and they do WOUNDERS and they look awsome. I used bricks in the middle of the pool as basking areas like 4 bricks stacked on eachother. it was pretty cool. I had LOADS of fish in it too. Cichlids, jack dempseys, gold fish, minnows, angels, stuff like that. just gotta take all the nice fish out in the winter or else they will die.
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:43 am   Re: has anyone?

walmart has a 300 gal pool for $10? never seen it and looked in walmart many times over the years haha but ill check it out again. do u have pics?
ashleygamergirl

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:13 am   Re: has anyone?

Yeah they are in the Pool section. they are those plastic ones that have like little turtles and fish on the sides and stuff. let me see if i can find a pic.
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:16 am   Re: has anyone?

that is the small one. there is one that is like double or triple the size for like another 10-15$. SUPER Cheap compared to basiclly anything you can find and the turtles cant pop holes or anything in it. just gotta watch out where you put it out on the lawn cuz of rocks and stuff which will pop holes in it.
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:40 am   Re: has anyone?

cool thanks
ashleygamergirl

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:02 pm   Re: has anyone?

I tried one of those last summer. It leaked right away and was a pain to setup. I also see very little protection for this, so I would probably not want to put my RES in there unsupervised.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:12 pm   Re: has anyone?

if i got that i would for sure stay out side with them. but i was really wanting a real nice setup that looks nice ect something like this
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/K ... CF0051.jpg
ashleygamergirl

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:04 pm   Re: has anyone?

That looks really nice, I think they're using pond liner in there. People have used stock tanks and added bricks around the tank. Stock tanks obviously cost more than kiddie pools but are very strong and provide deeper water levels.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:10 pm   Re: has anyone?

it really depends on where you live. The pool i used was the one twice as big as the one in the picture and they were kept in that for like over a year EASY without being looked after at all and i live in arizona....I doute you have more natural preditors then AZ lol. there are HUGE hawks out here, Skunks, Vultures, Coytoees, Rabbits, Snakes, ALLLLLLLL Kinds of stuff out here. Never one incient with anything trying to get them. the water in the pools are pretty deep like....a foot at east deep. They can chill in that year Round and you dont even need to feed them, they eat what ever falls in the water. One time i was outside and I turned the light on to smoke, and out of no where i got swarmed by like 2,000 dragonflys going after the light, it was crazy as hell, the cat was trippin out, the dog was trippin out, we had like 60 of em in the house flyin all crazy....thats just more food for the turtles lol..all i did was keep the pool next to the door to the back yard, turn the light on every night, and stuff would just fall in the pool and it would be eaten by fish, turtles, crabs, what ever you have in the pond. and btw there is alot of room in there for FIsh. at the top of my pool game...i had like 350 fish in there EASY..Cichlids, Algae Eaters, Angel Fish, Plattys, ALLLLL Kinds of stuff. they are really fun in the summer. But come winter, the fish have to be moved in doors.
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:24 pm   Re: has anyone?

how did you keep it clean what filter did ya use
ashleygamergirl

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:01 pm   Re: has anyone?

I was using something small that wasnt big enough but it kept it pretty clean. just make sure to get some of that Pond cleaner algae away stuff or else it will get green pretty fast from the sun.
SINI5T3R

Return to Habitat - Outdoor