Habitat - Outdoor :: Need advice on outside enclosure

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:32 pm   Need advice on outside enclosure

Hello! I am about to get a couple of turtles, and really want to have an outside enclosure. anyone have any advice on how to make a good, cheap, and escape proof enclosure? Also, I have a large tortoise in my yard that will want to get in. Any ways to keep him out? Thanks for your help!
Ninjakiwi

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:54 pm   Re: Need advice on outside enclosure

i think a stock tank might be the best way to go. Theyre the cheapest container ive been able to find so far, and your tortise couldnt get in unless you dug it into the ground. If you dont want to see the stock tank above ground you could stack landscaping bricks around the sides to hide it. Then to make it secure you would probably want to cover it with chicken wire or something so they dont get snatched by a raccon.
Tokapeli

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:45 am   Re: Need advice on outside enclosure

I agree with Tokapeli. Do you know if you'll have a male/female? Two females will have a better chance of getting a long, though two males or a male/female combination will likely need separation.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:15 am   Re: Need advice on outside enclosure

No i don't know if they will be male or female. I'll tell you when I know, but it would be nice to have turtles that wont attack each other, so ill probably get two males or two females. I'll look into stock tanks, too. Thanks!
Ninjakiwi

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:42 pm   Re: Need advice on outside enclosure

Two males will fight as well, if not more. :( Where will you be getting your RES from?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor