Habitat - Outdoor :: Want to set up stock tank for turtle questions

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:54 pm   Want to set up stock tank for turtle questions

Hello!

I'm looking for some advice. I really want to set up a 150 gallon stock tank for my turtle (Libby). I have absolutely no idea what sort of filtration system to look into. Was planning on Canister filters (FX5 possibly?) but reading online I saw people talking about pond filters as well. Any opinions or recommendations?

Second question is regarding indoor vs outdoor. I have always had her indoor in a glass aquarium. I have lots of room outdoor for this sort of set up though and was wondering if there may be any complications moving her out? I would definitely enclose the area so she could not escape, would still place a heater in the tank, and set up basking area with lamp. Where I live we have moderate temperatures. Highs in the 80's (maybe early 90's) in the summer and Low's in the 60's during winter, some rain, never any snow. Ive had her indoors for about 7-8 years now. Anyway, just looking for some advice/opinions! Thank you for your help!

-Jamie
jc_stockman

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:08 pm   Re: Want to set up stock tank for turtle questions

Welcome to the forum! I don't know too much about pond filters, but the FX5 (or rather it's replacement, the FX6) should be fine for 150 gallons. If you use it outside, I guess you will need to take some additional precautions.

Moving outdoors should not be a problem for older, healthy turts. You might want to use a heater at first to make sure there is some help with the adjustment.

Let us know what you decide :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:34 am   Re: Want to set up stock tank for turtle questions

steve wrote:Welcome to the forum! I don't know too much about pond filters, but the FX5 (or rather it's replacement, the FX6) should be fine for 150 gallons. If you use it outside, I guess you will need to take some additional precautions.

Moving outdoors should not be a problem for older, healthy turts. You might want to use a heater at first to make sure there is some help with the adjustment.

Let us know what you decide :)

Thanks for the response and welcome! Guess Ive been reading this forums for years but hadn't joined. I have a follow up question, as long as I keep her water warm enough and basking area with heat lamp/uv lamp I shouldnt have to worry about hibernation right? As I read more on outdoor set ups hibernation comes up a lot. Of course as I mention, temperatures dont hit freezing here anyway but I just want to make sure.
jc_stockman

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:13 pm   Re: Want to set up stock tank for turtle questions

I have no direct experience with hibernation, but temps in the 60's should not be a problem. I would expect her to slow down a bit. I think using a heater on a low setting might help with the initial transition. You don't need a heat/UVB lamp outdoors, just make sure the basking area gets sun light during the day.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:40 pm   Re: Want to set up stock tank for turtle questions

Another way to handle the water temperature situation is to keep the tank above ground, which I did with my 300 gallon. It warms up really well--just be sure to provide shade.
With regard to seasons, a stock tank of the size you are thinking of would probably not do very well outdoors, in the winter. Warmer months are easier to control, because you can generate cooler zones via shade introduction; in winter, you're going to need a little bit deeper water to maintain a stable temperature gradient.
Filtration is something that gave me a headache for a while, too--I eventually made a large DIY barrel filter from my local car wash. This is definitely the way to go, if you are concerned about damaging a "regular" canister filter in your yard.
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:51 pm   Re: Want to set up stock tank for turtle questions

A stock tank won't work for winter -- the above ground tank can freeze pretty hard.
cmackg

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:00 pm   Re: Want to set up stock tank for turtle questions

Thank you everyone for your responses. After much consideration I have finally decided to not do an outdoor stock tank set up. I am going to move it indoor. I guess I am a paranoid parent but I am too worried about not being able to regulate the temperature for her and she has been inside so long. Maybe Ill move her outside briefly next summer but for the time being I decided this would e better for both her and my sanity haha. I will post some pictures as soon as I get it all together!
jc_stockman

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:34 pm   Re: Want to set up stock tank for turtle questions

Thanks for the update. I'm an overprotective turtle keeper as well. I'd be a nervous wreck if I had to hibernate them. :lol:
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor