Habitat - Outdoor :: New turtles and new home

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:53 pm   New turtles and new home

I just got two young Res turtles. they are currently in an indoor tank.

I would like to move them outside and I am just flabbergasted by the volume of info a pond setups.

the pond I am going to build will be no larger than 250 gallons, unless someone tells me it is too small for two turtles.

I know I need a pump and a filter. What pump should I get.

as far as filter, I am going to build a wendy/skippy filter, but I don't want to use a 55 gallon or even a 5 gallon drum.

I would like to use a two gallon bucket with lid. is that okay? or must I use a 5 gallon bucket.

as far as size is concerned with the filter, is it a frequency of cleaning issue only.
MMTX

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:19 am   Re: New turtles and new home

How big are the RES? Do you know their sex yet? What's the range of temperatures outside? In-ground pond? Above ground?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:28 pm   Re: New turtles and new home

In addition to Steve's questions, I would like to confirm for you that for a pond of that size you will need at least a 5 gallon bucket. Preferably larger. Maintenance isn't the only reason behind filter size. Having a higher-capacity filter keeps more waste out of your water, and provides space for a concentrated population of beneficial bacteria.

Is there any reason you dislike the drums and buckets? If it's because you don't want to build your own, you can always buy commercial ones like Pondmaster. Tetra makes them, too, but I don't know how well they work. Good pumps include Beckett and Tetra Water Garden.
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:04 pm   Re: New turtles and new home

Also, where do you live? Just curious about the environment where you live.
55 Gal(US) tank,
One Female Red Eared Slider
Name: Brixie
Bought on February 6th, 2011
Peva

Return to Habitat - Outdoor