Feeding and Nutrition :: cuttlebone?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:08 pm   cuttlebone?

At what point should I consider adding cuttlebone to the tank? Curtis is now 3" by the way. Will it cause unsightly calcium deposits on the sides of the aquarium?

If it's time, should I break off a piece and just put it floating in the water or does it sink? Will he know what to do with it?

I think Curtis has a high prey drive because just leaving lettuce or veggies to float doesn't attract his attention. I have to hold it at the surface and make fluttering motions with it in order to get his attention. What should I do with the cuttlebone?????
Rexamus
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mar 30, 2008
Location: Florida

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:41 pm   

Hi! I just asked about cuttlebone issue-cant remember where I did, but I gave Shilo one and he chases it and chews on it. No problem other than the slight residue at the bottom of the tank. I think it's a good move for the playtime as well as the calcium, just toss it in!
grandmadoes
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Apr 18, 2008
Location: canton, georgia

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:48 pm   

You can give it to him any time. Just don't forget to peel off the hard backing.
It floats for about a day or so (depending on the size of the chunk). Many turts get a craving for a bit of calcium, and will chow down on it. See if he goes to it on his own. If he doesn't go after it after a day or two, you can try wiggling it if that works for the veg.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:55 am   

turtles love cuttlebone, and yes after a while it will sink.
1 Red Eared Slider- Izzy (female)
User avatar
corey7144
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Apr 15, 2008
Location: Wisconsin


Return to Feeding and Nutrition

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 156 guests