Feeding and Nutrition :: Too much cuttlebone...Seriously.

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:59 pm   Too much cuttlebone...Seriously.

if i give squirt a piece of cuttlebone thats about the size of his head, plus about another half or quarter head, and he eats it in a few hours(seriously) should I just keep giving it too him? Because I have cut down his intake, If I went at the rate he eats it, I'd probably be going through a bone or more per week. He's gone Cuttle-Crazy!!

So what do you think? give him all he wants, or limit him to a few pieces a week?

Thanks!
Last edited by Chrisbarnett on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:00 pm   

is there even a price to be paid if there is too much calcium intake?
ive never heard such a thing.

i dont know much though haha
-Gabe:D

1.0.1 RES - Raphael & Speedy Claxter

Egg Crate: (n.) turtle owner's best friend, (2) also known as light diffuser, (3) found in local hardware stores in the lighting section
User avatar
Raphulk
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Dec 30, 2007
Location: sunny california

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:00 pm   

I would put the entire piece in there and see how much he eats. From what I've seen I'm under the understanding that they don't eat more than they need. He may be needing more calcium because he's growing.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:03 pm   

And ok, the piece i just put in probably 30 minutes ago, is already reduced to a little piece that'll probably be gone within another 20-30 minutes.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:04 pm   

hmm, youre lucky!
my turtles dont really eat the cuttlebone like that.

does anyone know if the cuttlebone has taste?
-Gabe:D

1.0.1 RES - Raphael & Speedy Claxter

Egg Crate: (n.) turtle owner's best friend, (2) also known as light diffuser, (3) found in local hardware stores in the lighting section
User avatar
Raphulk
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Dec 30, 2007
Location: sunny california

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:04 pm   

How big was it to start with?
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:06 pm   

About a head and 3/4, or 2 heads worth...
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:13 pm   

My turtle will eat ANYTHING I put in the tank, seriously. It's disturbing how much he'll eat. I mean, if I put a whole cuttlebone in, it'd be gone within an hour, easily. A whole leaf of lettuce takes less than an hour to eat. So, I don't put in more than a head-sized piece or so each day just to limit the consumption. I know too much calcium in humans can be dangerous, so I assume it'd be the same in turtles.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:17 pm   

TheComputerGremlin wrote:My turtle will eat ANYTHING I put in the tank, seriously. It's disturbing how much he'll eat. I mean, if I put a whole cuttlebone in, it'd be gone within an hour, easily. A whole leaf of lettuce takes less than an hour to eat. So, I don't put in more than a head-sized piece or so each day just to limit the consumption. I know too much calcium in humans can be dangerous, so I assume it'd be the same in turtles.


Lol, squirts the same way. he turns into a savage over lettuce. a shell size piece is gone in about 10-15 minutes! :shock:
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:45 pm   

Mikey eats lettuce that quickly as well. I think to determine the answer to your question, we need to figure out what an excess of calcium will do to a turtle. I think either Marisa or Meg will be able to give you a good idea.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:47 pm   

Steve said you CAN overfeed cuttlebone. But everyone else says you can't. So Idk.
2 RES Squirtle and Screw..
..Russian Tortoise Big Moe
User avatar
ScrewZoo
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: Jul 18, 2008
Location: Dallas, Texas

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:29 am   

As far as I can remember back in my herp working days, I do recall this issue. I believe as Dr. Jax mentioned that indeed over feeding calcium can possibly do damage to herps in general. I personally would offer it as you would a treat, maybe once every other day or once a week. After all they do recieve some calcium intake with there pellets. But next time I go to my herp shop I'll ask the people there about herps taking in too much calcium.
My non-human family consists of...

1 RES-- Mary Jane
1 Ball Python-- Rukiya
2 Cockatiels-- Chapis and Stewie
User avatar
JimmyJam
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Aug 23, 2008
Location: Martinez, CA, US

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:35 am   

Is he eating it or just destroying it? Every once in a while my turtles just enjoy chomping at the cuttlebone, but I don't think they're actually eating it. It's just enticing to see something floating and they bite it to pieces.
If he were a gravid female, I'd say give all the cuttlebone you can... but males don't need as much calcium. I'd limit his intake, give him a chunk every few days to a week. I'd doubt he's really consuming as much calcium as it looks like.

How old is your UVB light? I'd also check that to make sure he is absorbing the calcium he does eat. Remember they are really only good about 6 months even though they produce light longer than that.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:35 am   

You are lucky your turtle will even touch cuttlebone our veggies!
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:04 pm   

Yes, he is actually eating it. When he bites into it, all you see is a very minimal puff of white cloud, and he eats it.

And the UVB light is only about 3 weeks old. Repti glo 5.0 26 watt.

Alright, so i'll start limiting his cuttle intake. Thanks all!
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Next

Return to Feeding and Nutrition

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 177 guests