Feeding and Nutrition :: Need help...are Goldfish bad for my turtle?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:05 pm   Need help...are Goldfish bad for my turtle?

My husband just bought 8 Goldfish but I remember reading somewhere Goldfish are not good for turtles... too fatty. I'm now worried and don't want to add them to the tank. Will my Red Ear Slider be okay?
Or should I not feed him them?
User avatar
Cade
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Feb 2, 2008

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:08 pm   

Goldfish are very fattening and should only be given to your turtle on very rare occasions.

Feeder guppies and minnows are better fish to feed.

In the future, you should ask before you buy something. Saves you money and an extra trip to the pet store.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:53 pm   Thanks for reply

I think Hubby thought he would surprise me by buying some Goldfish for Carlos. Normally we have bought Red Roses but the pet store was out of them and my hubby had no idea that Goldfish were bad for our turtle. That's why I thought I would make sure by asking here before dropping them into the tank. We have had the same red roses since Feb. and Carlos just finished them off. It was kind of sad to see them go : ( I thought I would add some more but when the Pet store was out of them hubby got the Goldfish not nothing about how bad they are for turtles.
User avatar
Cade
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Feb 2, 2008


Return to Feeding and Nutrition

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 146 guests