Equipment Review and Discussion :: Sponge for Filter???

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:50 pm   Sponge for Filter???

Hi! I was wondering for temporary reasons, is it possible to use any kind of sponge for the filter? I have a filter, but I don't have a sponge as of yet. I have one of those filters you hang outside of the tank.
So I was wondering if any kind of sponge or a specific home sponge is okay for now. Thanks! :?: :D
User avatar
maymay
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sep 28, 2005
Location: Toronto, ON

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:52 pm   

What kind of H.O.T filter do you have? I wouldn't use cellulose kitchen sponges if that's what you mean by sponges. Can you go to a petstore and buy a sponge that will fit the filter?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:55 pm   

Oh definitely not regular household sponges, most if not all of them contain chemicals. I know you can find some chemical free sponges in a hardware store but they are VERY expensive. You're better off doing what marisa said and going to a pet store and buying one there.
Carol
User avatar
cam722
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Jun 2, 2005
Location: Northeast PA

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:02 pm   

There are different grades of sponge that have different denseness. It is usually a lot more economical to by it in a big piece and cut it to size than to buy the small ones.

Example, Aquaclear Bio sponge comes in all sizes for their filters. But you can get a huge sponge for $5.50 made for a 110 gallon that will make about 10 smaller ones when just one small one will cost almost $3.00.
User avatar
Giddy
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Feb 27, 2006


Return to Equipment Review and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 80 guests