Equipment Review and Discussion :: Wonder Shell for Turtles

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:07 pm   Wonder Shell for Turtles

So while doing some research on overstocked fish tanks I came across an article about water changes and one of the things that was recommended in the article was replenishing the minerals in the water that eventually disappear over time. One of the products that was suggested at "Wonder Shell"

Would this be something that could be beneficial to water quality for turtles for in between water changes?

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com ... Shell.html
1 male RES - Franklin
2 gold fish and 1 silver Fathead Minnow that started out as feeder fish & earned their right to live
3 Leopard Geckos - Gizmo, Snow and Boo
My Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33545
MEandYouPhoto

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:18 pm   Re: Wonder Shell for Turtles

I don't think adding minerals to the water will do much for turtles. Your better off including calcium in their diet via cuttle bone or calcium supplement powder in their food.
devilduck

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:33 pm   Re: Wonder Shell for Turtles

I wasn't thinking for supplementing the turtles diet I was thinking for more natural way to condition the water in between water changes.
1 male RES - Franklin
2 gold fish and 1 silver Fathead Minnow that started out as feeder fish & earned their right to live
MEandYouPhoto

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:21 pm   Re: Wonder Shell for Turtles

The best thing is probably not to do too much before or after you put it into the tank. Carbon on tap seems to be the best way to go.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:30 am   Re: Wonder Shell for Turtles

I wouldn't use it.I don't like to use anything I don't have to.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:29 pm   Re: Wonder Shell for Turtles

steve wrote:The best thing is probably not to do too much before or after you put it into the tank. Carbon on tap seems to be the best way to go.

I am feeling a little frustrated here. Know that carbon is the best way to take care of the water going from the tap to clear it of chlorine and other sterilizing chemicals.

My question here is Would this product be harmful to a turtle.

As I read it the product is designed to replenish the natural minerals in the water that can disappear over time to help maintain better water health in between water changes.

Has anyone ever tried this product or heard anything about how it might affect our turtles.
The reason I ask is if I am wondering these questions then there has to be someone else out there who also has thought the same thing. I am taking the steps to get info and feedback before ever considering using a product like this in my tank. Not everyone will. It is for those people who think its a great idea and just throw it in the tank that I am hoping to create an awareness about this product and products like it. If its a good product and people have had good success with it then it is something that we can help to educate people about.

If however it is a detrimental product or if it poses a hazard to our turtles then I think we can help to educate people about the dangers of using the product with turtles.
1 male RES - Franklin
MEandYouPhoto

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:40 pm   Re: Wonder Shell for Turtles

I did a little research and found it contains "Sodium thiosulfate" How much is unclear?
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:06 am   Re: Wonder Shell for Turtles

By nature of doing water changes, the water you're adding will contain minerals. The exception to this would be if you used RO water, but that's way too soft on it's own for a freshwater aquarium. straight RO water gets buffered with RO right or Remineraliz - both are mineral and salt compounds to re harden the water.

No need to add anything to your turtles water.

Run your tap water through carbon to remove chlorine and chloramine. Add some calcium to the turtle's diet via quality pellets, cuttlebone or both and you're good to go.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:20 pm   Re: Wonder Shell for Turtles

You might not find anyone who has used them. Are they harmful to turtles ? Good question. Is reptisafe bad for turtles ? Who knows there simply has not been any research done.They do contain sodium thiosulfate simply I would not use them in with my turtles .
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:46 pm   Re: Wonder Shell for Turtles

Kansasslider wrote:You might not find anyone who has used them. Are they harmful to turtles ? Good question. Is reptisafe bad for turtles ? Who knows there simply has not been any research done.They do contain sodium thiosulfate simply I would not use them in with my turtles .

I wasn't sure what Sodium Thiosulfate was so I looked it up.

Medical

It is used as an antidote to cyanide poisoning.[5][6] Thiosulfate acts as a sulfur donor for the conversion of cyanide to thiocyanate (which can then be safely excreted in the urine), catalyzed by the enzyme rhodanase.
It has also been used as treatment of calciphylaxis in hemodialysis patients with end-stage renal disease.[7]
It is used in the management of extravasations during chemotherapy. Sodium thiosulfate prevents alkylation and tissue destruction by providing a substrate for the alkylating agents that have invaded the subcutaneous tissues. The dose may be 2mL of 0.17M (a solution of 4mL 10% sodium thiosulfate and 6mL sterile water for injection). It may be instilled subcutaneously into multiple sites using a small gauge needle. There are limited data on this method with few recommendations.[citation needed]
in foot baths for prophylaxis of ringworm, and as a topical antifungal agent for tinea versicolor.
in measuring the volume of extracellular body fluid and the renal glomerular filtration rate.[8]
[edit]Other uses

Sodium thiosulfate is also used:
As a component in hand warmers and other chemical heating pads that produce heat by exothermic crystallization of a supercooled solution.
In bleach
In pH testing of bleach substances. The universal indicator and any other liquid pH indicators are destroyed by bleach, rendering them useless for testing the pH. If one first adds sodium thiosulfate to such solutions, it will neutralize the color-removing effects of bleach and allow one to test the pH of bleach solutions with liquid indicators. The relevant reaction is akin to the iodine reaction: thiosulfate reduces the hypochlorite (active ingredient in bleach) and in so doing becomes oxidized to sulfate. The complete reaction is:
4 NaClO + Na2S2O3 + 2 NaOH → 4 NaCl + 2 Na2SO4 + H2O
To dechlorinate tap water for aquariums or treat effluent from waste water treatments prior to release into rivers. The reduction reaction is analogous to the iodine reduction reaction. Treatment of tap water requires between 0.1 grams and 0.3 grams of pentahydrated (crystalline) sodium thiosulfate per 10 liters of water.
To lower chlorine levels in swimming pools and spas following super chlorination.
To remove iodine stains, e.g. after the explosion of nitrogen triiodide.
Similarly, sodium thiosulfate reacts with bromine to render harmless products. Solutions of sodium thiosulfate are commonly used as a precaution in chemistry laboratories when working with bromine and for the safe disposal of bromine, iodine or other strong oxidizers.
In bacteriological water assessment.
In the tanning of leather.
To demonstrate the concept of reaction rate in chemistry classes. The thiosulfate ion can decompose into the sulfite ion and a colloidal suspension of sulfur, which is opaque. The equation for this acid-catalysed reaction is as follows:
S2O32−(aq) → SO32−(aq) + S(s)
To demonstrate the concept of supercooling in physics classes. Melted sodium thiosulfate is very easy to overcool to room temperature and when crystallization is forced, the sudden temperature jump to 48.3 °C can be experienced by touch.
As part of patina recipes for copper alloys.
Often used in pharmaceutical preparations as an anionic surfactant to aid in dispersion.
It can also be used as a very interesting solute in supersaturation experiments.
As an ingredient to table salt, e.g. Sysco Corporation's small packets of Iodized Salt

That one surprised me

I don't plan to use them either. It was more of a curiosity thing than anything. I thought it might be a good way to help sustain water quality in between water changes. That's all.
1 male RES - Franklin
MEandYouPhoto

Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:58 pm   Re: Wonder Shell for Turtles

I also noticed you can only get them on one web site. At least I couldn't find then anywhere else?
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:37 pm   Re: Wonder Shell for Turtles

This question is common for people too. Approximately 50% of my patients ask me not about their wonder shell of course but about calcium because all of them think that it is good for them when they are on a high calcium diet. Calcium is absorbed by active transport from the upper small intestine (in turtles too). In this way the most important is kind of calcium by chemical valence. Most of the calcium in the diet is in the form of calcium phosphate and is derived from milk and other dairy products in humans. But you cannot give your turtle the milk, because it is a high level of proteins and turtle may die. So, it must to be active form of calcium with vitamin D to return the serum calcium to normal. In water are factors influencing calcium absorption include: increased dietary oxalates, phytates and phosphates, which chelate calcium and reduce its absorption. As you, may be, remember, calculous disease can be produced by defects in calcium exchange. There are calcium oxalate (in 75%) as stones in the kidney covered with sharp projections, for example. Trust me, the question how many calcium the terra creature needs and what kind of calcium types better is not so easy. My advise is to add the calcium powder into food but not every time and in small amounts.
http://s1284.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... %20Turtles
1 RES / scripta elegance / Earl (Graf in Russian) was born ~ April 2012
1 RES / scripta troosti / Kumberland (Kumber) was born ~ August 2012
http://vk.com/brigitta_stefania
Stefania

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:42 pm   Re: Wonder Shell for Turtles

Stefania wrote:This question is common for people too. Approximately 50% of my patients ask me not about their wonder shell of course but about calcium because all of them think that it is good for them when they are on a high calcium diet. Calcium is absorbed by active transport from the upper small intestine (in turtles too). In this way the most important is kind of calcium by chemical valence. Most of the calcium in the diet is in the form of calcium phosphate and is derived from milk and other dairy products in humans. But you cannot give your turtle the milk, because it is a high level of proteins and turtle may die. So, it must to be active form of calcium with vitamin D to return the serum calcium to normal. In water are factors influencing calcium absorption include: increased dietary oxalates, phytates and phosphates, which chelate calcium and reduce its absorption. As you, may be, remember, calculous disease can be produced by defects in calcium exchange. There are calcium oxalate (in 75%) as stones in the kidney covered with sharp projections, for example. Trust me, the question how many calcium the terra creature needs and what kind of calcium types better is not so easy. My advise is to add the calcium powder into food but not every time and in small amounts.

Your a.herp vet ?
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:01 pm   Re: Wonder Shell for Turtles

can you please speak English so the rest of us know what the heck you're talking about. Thanks.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:06 am   Re: Wonder Shell for Turtles

She's a medical doctor from Russia. Calcium in the diet is the safest way to go, so stick with a good brand pellet and think about an occasional supplement. Feeder fish are also a source of calcium though you can't resort to that very often.
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion