Equipment Review and Discussion :: Getting back into turtles - What is the best filter?

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:12 am   Getting back into turtles - What is the best filter?

Hello everyone,

Its been about 6 years that I haven't had a turtle, but I'm getting back into things. I was younger when I gave it a go before, but didn't have the finances to get the tank and equipment setup the way it needed/I wanted it to be.

But I'm back now and I'm looking to put together a beautiful tank that my wife and I can enjoy. In doing so, I want to buy the best equipment I can and this includes a filter. In my previous experience, I couldn't afford the filter I needed, so I had to use a filter that just couldn't keep up with the tank. We will be building a 55 gal. aquarium, and I'm looking for everyone's opinion on what is the best filter? Is it a Fluval, Rena, or something else? Eventually we will probably upgrade to a larger aquarium, so I'm not worried about going overkill on the filter - I want the best.
Rickiew04

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:59 am   Re: Getting back into turtles - What is the best filter?

I just purchased a Fluval FX6 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJQ ... UTF8&psc=1 and I love it so far! My tank is so clean. I also have a 55 gallon tank.The filter rates for up to 400 gallons. I plan on upgrading to a 125 gallon tank within the next few years. This is a great forum. Welcome :)
RES female ~* Gamera
Russian tort ~* Tortuga
TortsNTurtles

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:28 am   Re: Getting back into turtles - What is the best filter?

What is the best way to setup this filter in terms of media and what not? Is the filter quiet? Thanks!
Rickiew04

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:03 pm   Re: Getting back into turtles - What is the best filter?

Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:14 am   Re: Getting back into turtles - What is the best filter?

FX5- FX6 can't comment on the 6 but the 5 is extremely quiet.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:37 pm   Re: Getting back into turtles - What is the best filter?

The media setup in a FX6 is the same as the FX5 and this is the filter I'd recommend as well. The FX6 is a slightly updated version of the FX5 but basically the same filter. Shop for the best deal you can find and you can't go wrong with either FX5 or FX6.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:00 am   Re: Getting back into turtles - What is the best filter?

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to go with the FX6. I'm going to have to do some research on canister filters as I know nothing about them. Any suggestions on what type of filter media/components I should use to setup my filter?
Rickiew04

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:24 pm   Re: Getting back into turtles - What is the best filter?

steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:23 pm   Re: Getting back into turtles - What is the best filter?

I have a Rena xp4 on my 75 gallon, i love it and it's very quiet.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
vear

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:41 pm   Re: Getting back into turtles - What is the best filter?

I wish fluval made smaller versions of the fx5. Like fx 4 3 2 etc. That would be sweet! Ease of cleaning black hoses etc.I'm a firm believer in the more gph the better! More gph cleaner tank...That's why the fx's rock! If you do buy the fx you can buy the blue filter pads on e-bay for about $1 a piece. I use mine for 2 months "rinsing it once" then swap it for a new one.. Just FYI
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:39 pm   Re: Getting back into turtles - What is the best filter?

I broke out the wallet today and bought the FX6. What is the difference between the blue filter pads and the regular sponges in the filter?

thank you for the feedback!
Rickiew04

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:31 am   Re: Getting back into turtles - What is the best filter?

The blue filter pads are just finer. The white pads that go around the outside are more porous. They also make a round white pad that is even finer than the blue pad but I don't use them.Congrats on your purchase I'm sure you will like it.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:06 pm   Re: Getting back into turtles - What is the best filter?

Yeah the round white pad will clog really really fast in a turtle tank. The blue pad is what you want at the top. Good choice.
VeipaCray

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion