General Care Discussion :: Having problems with water temps

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:47 pm   Having problems with water temps

So, I have this water heater. I believe that it is called a Neptune. Well, it has a little nob that you can adjust the temp. In the middle is the default and it's 76, so I turned it towards the plus line this morning and when I came home the temp was 87! I can't seem to control the temp. It's either too cool or too hot. I don't know what to do! Will this high temp harm my turtle until I figure out how to get it right?
julie373
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Aug 29, 2007
Location: Coopersburg, PA

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:19 pm   

Does anyone have any suggestions?
julie373
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Aug 29, 2007
Location: Coopersburg, PA

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:16 am   

The warm temperature will harm your turtle. What temp is the water when the heater is set on the default temp? Because that is a good temperature.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:18 am   

Search the forum for "Neptune". It doesn't seem to have a good reputation. How many watts is the heater and how much water is in your tank?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:35 am   

Im not sure how many watts, I looked at the instruction booklet and it doesn't say. and I have about 20 gallons of water in my 37 gallon tank. I turned it down a little last night and now it's between 80-81, is that okay?
julie373
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Aug 29, 2007
Location: Coopersburg, PA

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:22 am   

The ideal temp for a baby turtle would be around 78 degrees so 80-81 is on the warm side. You may also want to make sure your thermometer is accurate as they can be unreliable too sometimes. Do you have the sticky kind or is it a digital one? Usually the digital ones are more accurate while the ones that stick onto the glass can be off by a few degrees. If you have another thermometer like a glass one, you can use that just to double check what the temp is and then remove it when you're done.

Also the cheap heaters can sometimes be poorly made and will either be inaccurate, have too much fluctuation, fail to come on, or get stuck on which can be fatal. If you can, I would recommend getting a more reputable heater like a Visitherm Stealth or a Jager. You can get them online for a lot cheaper than the petstores sell them for.
User avatar
DavidY
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mar 9, 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:36 am   

I found the box. It's 100 watts, is that too much for how many gallons of water I have?
julie373
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Aug 29, 2007
Location: Coopersburg, PA

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:44 am   

That sounds about the right size for your tank. Try getting another thermometer and double check the temperature just to make sure that it's really that warm. If it is, then try turning the heater down just a little to get the temp closer to 78 degrees. What is the air temperature in the room?
User avatar
DavidY
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mar 9, 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:39 am   

Im not sure what my air temp in the room is, I haven't really checked yet, but I know it isn't causing the water to be too warm. I keep my room pretty cold actually.
julie373
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Aug 29, 2007
Location: Coopersburg, PA

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:26 am   

I've had the same problem with all-glass aquarium heaters, the cheaper ones just tend to have crappy thermostats, and after a while they don't shut off anymore. I'm using Stealth heaters in 2 tanks and they seem to be doing well so far. Invest in a good heater, it's really important to your turtle's health.
Napoleon - Western Painted Turtle
Apollo - Eastern Box Turtle
Moxie - Painted Turtle Mutt
RIP Hercules

Katie

I heart my herpies!
User avatar
Starchick
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Jan 3, 2007
Location: central NY

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:44 am   

Is there water heaters out there that have a digital thermostat so that you can clearly set it on a certain number? After playing with it again last night, I woke up this morning and it is 78, so im hopeful that it will last until I go out and get another water heater (later today, or tomorrow)
julie373
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Aug 29, 2007
Location: Coopersburg, PA

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:08 am   

Most heaters have dials on them. Other types of heaters (inline, in filter) and much more expensive. There are separate temperature controllers, but those are very expensive for what it does. Get a good heater and a couple of thermometers and you should be OK.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:53 am   

Im going to the pet store today to get a new heater, any suggestions on a brand, and how many watts?
julie373
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Aug 29, 2007
Location: Coopersburg, PA

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:52 am   

Most people use stealth heaters and rave about them. I think for your size tank you'd want the 100W. There should be a wattage chart somewhere on the box to double check when you're at the pet store.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:42 pm   

i highly recommend the stealth heaters like megcornell said. i went through 5 heaters in 4 months until I got the Stealth. my girls just beat up those glass heaters I guess.

They label the packages well with charts to show you what you need. It's better to get one that is a higher wattage than one that is not enough wattage. Not enough power and it won't be able to properly maintain your temps. Too much power, and it simply won't have to work as hard to maintain the temps.
Tom & Ashley
(RES) Crush, Squirt
(3T Box) Manny & Isabella
(Dog) Ember
User avatar
RunninWideOpen
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Feb 20, 2007
Location: St Louis, MO

Next

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 160 guests