Photo Gallery :: Jungle tank

The place to post your photos and pictures.
Winter Photo Contest Winner :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:51 pm   Jungle tank

I bought tons of plants and snails, and the turtle tank looks like a jungle.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
User avatar
scripta_elegans
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Jul 30, 2006
Location: Iowa

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:58 pm   

Looks like to much is in there to me.
User avatar
Vtolds
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Nov 5, 2007
Location: Stowe, VT

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:40 pm   

I bet your turtles love rooting around in there.

Are those the snail shells that are now empty? (re. your other post). And the plants are mostly shredded on the bottom of the tank? You've got a couple of fierce turtles. Good thing they won't get any bigger than 12" long.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:40 pm   

They are loving all the rooting. As far as size goes, I know! Can you imagine how fearsome they would be at 200 pounds? The snail shells are about 1/2 and 1/2. They have eaten way too many, but they get so much exercise trying to get into the shell, and I haven't seen an irritable interaction between the 2 of them for the 2 weeks they have been in there. I think each turtle has probably eaten 10. I have 3 dozen in there, and they are dwindling. There are 5 or 6 that they are ignoring because they are encrusted with Java moss. I hope they keep ignoring them.
There were twice as many plants 2 weeks ago, but they are also disappearing at a fast rate. Yes, the plant detritus you see at the bottom is just from plants eaten between Friday and now. I cleaned it out, and scooped out the little remenants then, but as Grey Goose once lovingly said, they are little vandals. There is an Ebay plant seller who I buy from, and she advertised a bucket sized quantity of turtle munchies. She meant a BIG bucket. They do still have plenty of room to swim, and tihnk they really like having the plants for cover. Well at least Sparky does. He is in 2 of the pictures, but he is hiding under plants. I see a turtle shaped lump, but I bet it's not distinguishable for anyone but me. Spike thinks she is going to get pellets even though she's eaten snails almost every day. Sigh.
Last edited by scripta_elegans on Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
User avatar
scripta_elegans
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Jul 30, 2006
Location: Iowa

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:48 pm   

That's very interesting about their being so interested in the snails that they forget to pick on each other. Where do you get your snails? Spot snakes on the little snails that came in with some anacharis long ago but he's never seen a big snail.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:58 pm   

I got them from an Ebay seller, but he doesn't seem to have any listed right now. hmm.
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
User avatar
scripta_elegans
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Jul 30, 2006
Location: Iowa

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:03 pm   

Hmmm. Where's Sparky? This is like that find-the-turtle game. Do I see him in picture #4, lurking behind Spike? And in picture #1, behind, below and to the right of Spike, showing in a loop of anacharis?
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:47 pm   

:lol: That's great! He's in 2 and 3. He's a wee dark lump lurking in the bottom right corner. I only know because I saw him before I took the picture. I don't know how to do that circling thing, or I would surely circle him.
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
User avatar
scripta_elegans
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Jul 30, 2006
Location: Iowa

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:22 pm   

Ha! So I'm 0 for 2 in the find-the-turtle game. I think I see him now.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:18 pm   

How much anacharis did you get and how much did it cost, if you don't mind.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:48 pm   

Well that's one way to get rid of nitrates (live plants eat it). I don't think I could get away with live plants though, my two mischief makers would chop it all up and stuff it into the filter intakes! :P
"Make it turtle proof, and they'll build a better turtle."
User avatar
grey goose
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:16 pm   

I got a bucket of turtle munchies on ebay. The seller is adavisus. She uses no turtle hurting chemicals. I got a huge mass of Anacharis and bunches of 2 other plants for 15.00 dollars.
greygoose-i have been clearing the filter intakes 5-6 times a day. They have made a really horrible mess, which I knew they would. I only put live plants in there when I know I will be home to pull the pieces out a lot. I know they are good for them, but my god what a pain!
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
User avatar
scripta_elegans
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Jul 30, 2006
Location: Iowa

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:27 pm   

LOL I said once before that keeping live plants in a turtle tank (especially multiple turtles.....monkey see, monkey do....) is like banging your head against the wall!
"Make it turtle proof, and they'll build a better turtle."
User avatar
grey goose
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:57 pm   

LoL....I dread getting my turtles anarcharis because they make such a mess! It is so annoying trying to clean it out, unclogging the filter, and some of the anarcharis i get is pretty expensive.
I know my turtles love it so much, but it is just a pain.
But your tank looks so cool scripta_elegans! The basking spot looks great! I bet your turtle is soo happy! He look so cute too! :D
3 turtles,
3 cats,
& fish.
User avatar
emma
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Aug 28, 2007
Location: Minnesota

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:30 pm   

Thanks Emma!
Hmmm. Banging my head against the wall vs. cleaning little tiny pieces of shredded plant out of the 2 filter intakes. Well, the plants are good for the turtles, but not too good for the filter. Banging my head against the wall feels good when I stop, but isn't too good for me. So I guess I'll take the plants and the filter cleaning. :lol:
2 RES-Sparky M 6.0 and Spike F 9.0
1 Beardie- F Nubbin
1 Pictus Gecko- F Necko
6 Fire Bellied Toads-3 M 3 F
User avatar
scripta_elegans
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Jul 30, 2006
Location: Iowa

Next

Return to Photo Gallery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 121 guests