Habitat - Indoor :: Putting stones from outside in the tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:39 pm   Putting stones from outside in the tank

Greetings,

I have a stone from the woods behind my house that I'd like to put in the tank with my RES's. I washed it off and boiled it for a couple of hours but there's still some green "algae" type material on it that definitely doesn't want to come off. If it's been boiled and whatnot, would it hurt them to include it anyways?

Also, how long is typical for boiling stones, anyways? Thanks ahead of time!
"Pay the man!"
DanM
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Jul 12, 2007
Location: Pennsylvania

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:47 pm   

as long as you boiled them than they should not harm the turtle. try useing peroxide or rubing alcohol with a tooth brush
Last edited by rturtle1 on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 Res Raphaiel, Crash, Neya
rturtle1
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Mar 5, 2008

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:22 pm   

I think it should be fine. As long as it's been boiled.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:55 pm   

If it's been boiled it should be fine, but if there's gunk on it i would try to scrub it off just to be safe. When i boil things i usually do it for about 15 minutes, not sure what's the official right amount of time.
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
User avatar
octpusgirl8
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: Baltimore MD

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:32 pm   

I boiled the rocks I put in my tank for about 10 minutes.
Did you try scrubbing the green stuff off? Maybe it's just the colouration of the rock.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:41 pm   

You should really use only smooth non-porous stones. Algae and other kinds of bacteria can get embedded and be difficult to remove.
"Make it turtle proof, and they'll build a better turtle."
User avatar
grey goose
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Post Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:23 pm   

once it has been boiled it should be fine. scrubbing can be a good attempt but DONT use any chemicals at all.
TriniTurtledude
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Jan 3, 2008

Post Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:25 pm   

Are you sure the green is algae?

I have both rocks I bought and rocks I found outside in the tanks. The rocks I bought were rinsed well before putting them in the tank. The ones I found outside were scubbed with white vinegar and boiled before adding them to the tank.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:31 pm   

I will be switching to a stock tank soon and have a few large rocks from outside that I would like to use. They are to big to boil on the stove. What else can I do to make sure they are clean. I have scrub them with a toothbrush and dish soap and rinsed them really well. There is no mud, dirt or algae of any kind on them.
shellie0474
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Apr 18, 2008
Location: Marengo, Oh

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:37 pm   

As long as you're 100% sure all the soap is off, then that should be fine.
I would recommend vinegar over dish soap next time though.
I just found out that straight vinegar kills 80-99% of bacteria :o
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:54 pm   

my tumble has 2 house bricks and a rock from outside to use as his basking area. before i put them in the tank i put them in a sink full of boiling water and bleach then scrubbed them thoroughly with a nail brush. once all the scrubbing was done i emptied the sink and filled it back up with hot water and vinegar to nutralize the bleach then scrubbed them again. then after the second empty i ran them under fast flowing hot water from the tap for 10-15 mins to remove vinegar residue. vinegar isnt really harmful to turts. now tumble has a nice basking spot and the water in his house is perfectly clear

edit: just noticed the post above and the mention of vinegar. yes vinegar does kill 80 - 99% of germs but domestos does deffinatley kill 99% so usind bleach befoer the vinegar as i did should give you a more thorough clean
blulite
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Sep 11, 2008
Location: Hartlepool, England
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:59 pm   

Haha! All I did was get rocks from our driveway and powerwash them with a water hose! Probably wasn't the cleanest way! :lol:

But apparently it didn't hurt him because that was months ago.
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:05 pm   

We built a basking area from rocks gathered near a house construction site. It is important to note that some rocks may not be suitable for tank use due to the composition of the rock.

We sanitized our rocks using the tank cleaning bleach solution mentioned here ( http://www.redearslider.com/tank_considerations.html ) and then soaked them in vinegar, followed by a thorough water rinse and air dry.

If any of the rocks 'fizz' when in the vinegar (fizz like alka-seltzer, not just air bubbles) then do not use them as they will continue to dissolve in your tank and can affect the water hardness & pH.
1 RES, Spike (In new home with 1xPleco, 1xRed Zebra Cichlid, 1xYellow Lab Cichlid)
2 Cats, Blossom & Panda
2 Tropical tanks (plecos, platies, tetras)
2 Handsome Blue Bettas, Blueberry & ?
1 Bright Red Betta, Strawberry
1 Feeder guppy breeding tank
User avatar
Fuzzy Hamster
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Jul 14, 2008
Location: Toronto

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:14 pm   

I use vinegar to clean anything that goes in my tank.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
User avatar
imderanged
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Dec 25, 2007


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 135 guests