General Care Discussion :: pregnant

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:27 pm   pregnant

how do i know my turtle is pregnant
jimtat1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 26, 2008

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:44 pm   

Read this page from the main site:

http://www.redearslider.com/reproduction.html
User avatar
Nettle
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Feb 19, 2008
Location: Ohayo

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:12 pm   

However, pregnancy is only achieved if you have a female and male together. Otherwise, the female will produce eggs but they will not produce babies (like chickens).
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:00 pm   

Will turtles mate if they are "brother and sister?"
DetroitRebelle
 
Posts: 11
Joined: May 19, 2008

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:03 pm   

Probably, I don't think reptiles will make that distinction.
User avatar
Nettle
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Feb 19, 2008
Location: Ohayo

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:09 pm   

In the wild there are tons of barriers to siblings reproducing (dispersal, for example).

In captivity you're isolating two turtles of opposite sex together, so yeah, they're likely going to mate regardless of their relatedness. :)
Science rules.
taylor_a
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Guelph, ON, Canada

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:17 pm   

So if she ends up laying eggs a few years down the road, should I toss them so there aren't more unwanted baby turtles? What would you do?
DetroitRebelle
 
Posts: 11
Joined: May 19, 2008

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:24 pm   

Make sure you destroy them before you just toss them...otherwise some unfortunate little babies might be hatching in the dump.
Science rules.
taylor_a
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Mar 19, 2008
Location: Guelph, ON, Canada

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:35 pm   

If you are sure that is what you want to do, I suggest you put them in a plastic bag and freeze them over night. That should do it. I porbably would not do that. I would just have to bite the bullet and make room for them. I just would not do it. :!: That is just me. :!:
Bascomb
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Oct 28, 2007

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:14 pm   

Okay, yeah. Well I don't know if I'd terminate them (or all of them) or not. I guess I just have to see where I'm at if that does end up happening. Thanks.
DetroitRebelle
 
Posts: 11
Joined: May 19, 2008

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:34 pm   

There are many many turtles in shelters and rescues that could use good homes. If you are against disposing of the eggs then you really should seperate the male and female. Then when the eggs are layed they won't be fertile.

I would definately destory the eggs if you decide to keep them together. Females lay 2 to 3 clutches a year with several (up to 20 or so) eggs each clutch. You should ask yourself if you really can care for 60 new turtles a year.

I think responsible pet ownership would be to destroy the eggs. If you want more turtles I would suggest adopting one.
HDaisog

3 RES: Lucy, Maggie, and Presley
2 Dogs: Pacho and Ruby
1 Cat: Tasselhoff
hdaisog
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Jan 30, 2008
Location: Denver, CO

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:23 pm   

I see many people on this board say the same thing like they copy and paste other peoples comments about so many turtles need a home don't let them mate. But where I live a red ear is like gold there are none to be found. If I wanted another turtle it could take weeks to find them so I guess it's all about where you live. I hope my turtles mate so I can bring them to the pet store and get them a good home and keep some for me. Just wait and see how many people respond to this.
Raising turtles is very rewarding..
1981camaroz28
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Apr 16, 2008
Location: South Philly

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:37 pm   

it would be a hard decision for me but i would have to terminate the eggs - it sounds so cruel but i couldnt handle a whole batch of babies -

My decision only gets made easier because all you need to do is walk through china town NYC and see people selling them by the dozen to parents with little kids that want a "cute little turtle" (completely unaware of the responsibilities involved)

i <3 turtles but could never handle lots of babies - if you worried about the "ethical" decision just separate the male and female
starscollided
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Feb 18, 2008
Location: Southern Connecticut

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:40 pm   

I would definitely go with separating the male and female so as not to have the problem to begin with. I would not be able to terminate all those babies. Separation would probably be your easiest solution.
KameKo

3 Red-Eared Sliders: Floyd, Shelly & Baby.
2 Cats: Mr.Tibbles & Miji
2 Bunnies: Puffy & Chibi
1 Fiance :).
User avatar
KameKo
 
Posts: 46
Joined: May 1, 2008
Location: Elizabethtown, KY

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:56 pm   

I agree I love turtles so I could not kill one hatched or not
Raising turtles is very rewarding..
1981camaroz28
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Apr 16, 2008
Location: South Philly

Next

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 181 guests