Habitat - Indoor :: Question about setting up a new tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:51 pm   Question about setting up a new tank

Just joined the forums.

We have a RES named Spike living in a rather small tank and we are starting to set up a new bigger tank for him (or her, we're not sure yet).

We have gathered several rocks that we collected from a nearby field that I am in the process of cleaning with some vinegar. We are planning to use them to set up a basking area.

I have a couple of questions that I have not found answers to, although it is possible that I just haven't been searching for the right things, so if you could point me in the right direction....

1. One of the rocks has a rather large flat area that looks perfect for basking, and a smaller almost indented area that we were thinking of using as a feeding area. Is this a good or bad idea? (I realize that RES need to wet their food to eat it).

2. I am concerned about breaking the glass tank and was thinking about using rigid pink foam insulation to both protect the glass and to raise the rocks to a suitable level while keep the weight to a minimum. I know that the foam is "hydrophobic," meaning it's practically impossible for it to be penetrated by moisture, but I have not been able to find any info as to whether it would have any adverse long term effect on the RES and anything else (feeder guppies ?) we may add to the tank. Has anyone had any experience with this type of foam? (Look here for a pic - http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/Wood/4X ... 20Foam.jpg ).

3. Does anyone know for certain if critter tanks and fish (or turtle) tanks are really any different, or could I use an R-Zilla critter tank as a turtle tank and fill it about half way with water? (I guess I'm really just concerned about glass thickness and water leaks).

Many thanks for any & all answers.... :D
User avatar
Fuzzy Hamster
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Jul 14, 2008
Location: Toronto

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:57 pm   

1. the larger rock seems fine for basking, make sure none of the rocks have sharp edges or anything to reduce abrasion on the turtles shell or skin. also, instead of putting a rock as a "feeding spot" you might want to feed your turtle in a separate bin. i feed mine in a rubbermaid container that isnt that big at all, its just for feeding them.

2. hmm as for the rock breaking glass issue, im unsure about the foam substance so someone else will have to help you on that. i have rocks the size of baseballs (in diameter) in my tank and they all do just fine. but i dont know how heavy or big the rocks you have are in comparison

3. hmmm critter vs fish tank. i think youre right about glass thickness. i think if anything that would be the difference between the two. seeing that fish tanks are embraced for water and critter tanks are not.
-Gabe:D

1.0.1 RES - Raphael & Speedy Claxter

Egg Crate: (n.) turtle owner's best friend, (2) also known as light diffuser, (3) found in local hardware stores in the lighting section
User avatar
Raphulk
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Dec 30, 2007
Location: sunny california

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:06 pm   

1. Rocks are fine, you'll need to fully sterilize them (generally by boiling) and make sure there are no sharp edges. You also have to make sure that the rocks are COMPLETELY stable when they are put in the tank. Otherwise, your turtle make tip one over and get trapped underneath. As for feeding, I just drop the pellets and/or lettuce in the tank and mine eats it that way.

2. Unless you are one hundred percent sure nothing will leech into the water, don't use it. If you are worried about your tank breaking or cracking under the rocks, don't use the rocks. Most plastics and woods will leech into the water (those plastic bottles that humans drink water from leech plastic into the water, yet we still drink it ...). I personally have a carpet runner on the bottom of my tank to keep it from getting scratched up. So far it seems to be doing the job. You could try that.

3. Think of turtles as fish. If the tank can't hold full fish setups, don't get it for your turtle. Most "turtle" or reptile tanks are made of a thinner glass that is only intended to be filled part way. Your turtle will appreciate his tank being filled as full as you can get it, trust me.

Since you are setting up a new tank, I would recommend getting the biggest tank you can get. Since you don't know if you have a male or female yet, you might want to lean towards a 100-120 gallon tank. Look for wider tanks versus super deep tanks, they prefer to be able to move around easily. Hope this helps and welcome!
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:09 pm   

I looked at making a background with a simialr foam. Some of the folks on the cichlid forum I read suggested that the fish would pick at the foam and tear it apart. So they suggested coating it with cement mixed with natural pigments and then epoxy resin. I think the foam idea is a good one but you may want to get some feedback from others to see if they think the turtle would eat it pick it apart.

On the second idea - about using a critter tank - I would not. The critter tanks arent made to hold water. Generally they are made with thinner sheets of glass (at least the ones I was looking at were). Our local Petco carried an All Glass 18" by 48" tank in the reptile section that was actually an aquarium, but you have to ask.

You will also want to fill the tank higher than 1/2 full. Give the turt as much water as you can without allowing him to climb out. My water is about 6-7 inches from the top of the tank. Look up some info on basking docks in this forum and check out the photos of others' set ups. It will help give you ideas.
Mom to:

1 RES - Tuck
3 Cats - Max, Theo, & Smokey
Lots of mollies and platies
1 Pleco - Spot
1 brand new betta
AND
2 very wild and creative 6 year old humans!
User avatar
mat012
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Apr 9, 2008
Location: Aggieland, Texas

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:09 pm   

When i think of foam in a turtle tank i picture a turtle chomping pieces off of it.
The Line-Up
0.0.1 Rescued RES (about 98% sure)
0.0.1 Red Ear Slider
0.0.1 Yellow Belly Slider
1.1.0 Tucson Banded Geckos
1.0.0 American Bull Frog
0.0.1 Crayfish
Many, Many, Many Goldfish

Piano piano ti vai piu lontano.....
User avatar
ilcapo21
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Aug 5, 2007

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:25 pm   

Wow, thanks everyone for the quick replies.

@Raphulk & TheComputerGremlin - thanks very much for your input and perspective on things

@mat012 & ilcapo21 - thanks for your feedback as well, particularily about the foam

After reading your comments I realized that I should have clarified a couple of things;
- the rocks we have collected are roughly half the size of a brick (each) and in addition to cleaning I will ensure that there are no rough/sharp edges.
- the foam would be used only under the rocks, and my intent would be that they can not be reached by Spike or be seen from the front of the tank. I expect that the foam would also partly provide some stability to the rocks, which is another reason I thought it would be a great substrate to the rocks

On another note, it is interesting to see that I will not be the only one with multiple tanks (RES, tropical fish, betta) and multiple cats (Blossom & Panda) in the same house...lol...
1 RES, Spike (In new home with 1xPleco, 1xRed Zebra Cichlid, 1xYellow Lab Cichlid)
2 Cats, Blossom & Panda
2 Tropical tanks (plecos, platies, tetras)
2 Handsome Blue Bettas, Blueberry & ?
1 Bright Red Betta, Strawberry
1 Feeder guppy breeding tank
User avatar
Fuzzy Hamster
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Jul 14, 2008
Location: Toronto

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:47 pm   

You're welcome. Test the foam/rock combination out in a tub before you try it in the tank - that way if the rocks tumble you havent cracked your tank. Second thought I had was that you will need to test out the foam to rock ratio. The foam will be very buoyant so unless you glue it to the sides of the tank with aquarium silicone it will want to float. It may take a lot of rock to hold it down and then if it is not glued it could be unstable.

They make an aquarium putty. You can use that to adhere the rocks together as well. I have seen it at aquariumguys.com and on ebay.

You could also coat the foam in epoxy resin if you are worried about it leaching toxins in the water.

Let us know how this this turns out. It sounds interesting.
Mom to:

1 RES - Tuck
3 Cats - Max, Theo, & Smokey
Lots of mollies and platies
1 Pleco - Spot
1 brand new betta
AND
2 very wild and creative 6 year old humans!
User avatar
mat012
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Apr 9, 2008
Location: Aggieland, Texas

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:06 am   

Thanks again mat012.

Good point about the foam wanting to float. I am hoping that the rocks will end up being heavy enough (& sturdy enough) that it won't be an issue, but silicone is a good solution if it becomes a problem.

Great idea, using a tub to test in. We will definately be doing that!

I am not familiar with using aquarium putty or epoxy resin, so I will do some research into those.

Great advice!
1 RES, Spike (In new home with 1xPleco, 1xRed Zebra Cichlid, 1xYellow Lab Cichlid)
2 Cats, Blossom & Panda
2 Tropical tanks (plecos, platies, tetras)
2 Handsome Blue Bettas, Blueberry & ?
1 Bright Red Betta, Strawberry
1 Feeder guppy breeding tank
User avatar
Fuzzy Hamster
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Jul 14, 2008
Location: Toronto


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 127 guests