Habitat - Indoor :: Help..

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:52 pm   Help..

I live in the Mojave Desert and there is lots of sand where I live. I was wondering if it would be safe to put some of my sand through a sifter then use the fine grains of sand for my tank. I also have a Pleco fish. Would the sand harm the fish if it sucked up some of the sand while it is settling?
desertcoyote93
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Oct 20, 2008

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:50 pm   

I wouldn't use that kind of sand because you can't be sure what contaminants are in it, nor what is the mineral composition. Minerals like lime affect ph and hardness. Metals like iron will leach into the water.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:27 pm   

Yeah I would stick too pre sifted pre sanitized sand, it's no more then $5 a 55lb bag at most hardware stores.
As for the pleco, I have sand in my fish tank and Igor XIII is doing just fine :)
My favorite things in the world:
1 res, 3 cats, 3 bunnies, 1 dog, 2 african clawed frogs, guppies, pleco, 30+ fancy mice, 2 hermit crabs and 4 small humans
User avatar
Sassamo
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Aug 25, 2008
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:43 pm   

I answered this same question in the sand faq.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 100 guests