General Care Discussion :: Carbon - Yay or nay?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Do you use carbon in your filter?

Yes
18
90%
No
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:49 am   Carbon - Yay or nay?

As long as I've had a filter, I've used carbon. But recently, instead of replacing the carbon, I've just left the old bags in there. They are basically acting as another level of mechanical filtration, plus probably a bit of biological filtration.

I understand that carbon removes impurities and reduces smell, but I've never had a problem with smell.

So is it worth it to keep using fresh carbon? Or should I just keep the old bags for some good mechanical filtration?
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:12 am   

For me, I've always replaced the carbon when I do my filter media cleanup. Though recently I haven't been maintaining my tank so I do see differences in water quality. I sense that the water is better when I do change the carbon (not smell because I never get a bad smell even without carbon) but the turtles just seem to be more active and act healthier when the carbon is changed. I'd say change it anyways, leave the mechanical filtration for the pads!

My water is actually crystal clear with carbon (didn't used to have it before)
jyu67
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sep 7, 2008

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:43 pm   

I give my carbon a good rinse whenever I clean the filter, but I don't change it too often. I'd say I change it every 3-6 months. But in my tank, I can TELL when the carbon needs changed cuz the tank gets stinky. Oh, and mine is technically BioChemZorb, but whatever, it's carbon.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:06 pm   

I use BioChem Zorb too and change it montly and have never had an odor problem. Maybe the reason you've never had an odor problem is that you've been using carbon! :D
Last edited by SpotsMama on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:39 pm   

SpotsMama wrote:I use BioChem Zorb too and change it montly and have never had an oder problem. Maybe the reason you've never had an oder problem is that you've been using carbon! :D


Lol, but I mean in the last 4 months or so when I haven't been using carbon I haven't had a smell problem :P

What's biochem zorb?

And, now that I'm thinking of it, does anyone have a suggestion where to get carbon for a good price (keeping in mind I'm in Canada)? Paying $10 for 3 bags of fluval carbon is the reason I stopped replacing it...
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:18 pm   

I get mine at Big Al's. 10 bucks for 3 replacements isn't too bad a deal imo.

BioChem Zorb is the caviar of carbon; it has extra goodies and goes for about 11 bucks a pop (I think). I use it as well.
User avatar
EmperorTunaFish
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Sep 6, 2007
Location: Oshawa, ON

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:05 pm   

The cheapest I've found BioChemZorb (it's the Rena version of super carbon) is at Pet Solutions (petsolutions.com) for $6.99 a pouch, which is way cheaper than the like $12 PetSmart carries it for.

Check out Pet Solutions for regular carbon. And you can buy just carbon and these pouches and fill your own. And there are ways to revive your used carbon as well.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:07 pm   

What is Carbon?Is that some type of chemical? :?
TurtleLover_S&B,

Squirt & Bubbles!The cutest turtles you've ever seen!!
User avatar
TurtleLover_S&B
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Sep 9, 2008
Location: Georgia

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:12 pm   

I buy a big container of carbon and then i got another silky net kinda thing, i just scoop some into the net, tie it up and put it in my filter. Works out to be much cheaper than buying those BioChemZorb replacement pouches, or any kind of pre-packed replacement pouches from any manufacturer.
jyu67
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sep 7, 2008

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:13 pm   

What's carbon?
TurtleLover_S&B,

Squirt & Bubbles!The cutest turtles you've ever seen!!
User avatar
TurtleLover_S&B
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Sep 9, 2008
Location: Georgia

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:44 pm   

Activated carbon, also called activated charcoal or activated coal, is a form of carbon that has been processed to make it extremely porous and thus to have a very large surface area available for adsorption or chemical reactions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon

Basically, it removes impurities in the water.

As luck would have it, I found someone on the local classifieds who is selling some (loose) carbon. He hasn't got back to me with a price yet, but hopefully I can get it for a much better price than the Fluval stuff :)

The problem where I live is that Hagen pretty much owns the town. Most stores have only one, *maybe* two brands of media, filters, powerheads, you name it!

I had a look into re-using the carbon, but from what I found it's generally not that effective... But I'm certainly willing to give it a try if someone can find a good how-to!
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:48 pm   

Carbon is an element. Living things - plants, animals - always contain carbon. Carbon is extremely versitile. For instance, diamonds are another form of carbon.

The carbon for aquariums is kind of like charcoal (charcoal is just wood that's been heated until impurities are burned out leaving behind mostly just the carbon) or coal. Carbon for filters has been heated beyond the charcoal stage. It is very absorbent and will pick up odors. It is black and usually comes either as a powder or little chunks. It looks like it would be dirty and would turn the water black but it really does just the opposite.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:13 am   

I'm not using carbon though I have a huge container of it sitting under the tank. Never had an odor problem when not using it. It does need to be regularly replaced (monthly, as SpotsMama is doing) though it can still serve as biomedia afterwards. It's more beneficial for keepers with smaller tanks.

I'll probably go back to using it once I move into a new place and reorganize my turtle stuff :)
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:17 pm   

I use carbon in smaller tanks and think it can help with controlling odor in them if there is one. I do think smaller tanks are more prone to developing an odor, since they require more maintenance, which may not be done. In larger tanks, though, I don't usually bother with it.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:00 pm   

I use it in my one filter, I don't remember witch.
User avatar
Take-One
 
Posts: 932
Joined: Mar 15, 2008
Location: Where Destiny is calling me.

Next

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 186 guests