Urgent Care :: HELP!! Turtles fighting

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:10 pm   HELP!! Turtles fighting

My bigger red ear just attacked my other slider, there are NO vets open that deal with reptiles at the moment. What can I do? She ripped skin off the back or the neck.
They have been together for OVER a year now. I don't understand why they are fighting.
Any suggestions on what I can do, until I can get her into a vet.
2Sliders
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Nov 21, 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:39 pm   

Separate them now. It will only get worse if you leave them together.

How bad is the wound? Bleeding? Rawness?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:47 pm   

Keep her out of the tank. If there's no bleeding but an open wound, rinse it with clean water then apply a little antibiotic ointment with a q tip. If the wound is bad, don't put her back into an aquarium until the vet has seen her. If it's a while before the vet can see her, you can keep her out of water most of the time except for a couple of times a day put her in clean water to eat and drink. If the wound isn't bad, it's not so essential to keep her out of the water all the time BUT you mustn't put her back in the tank with the other one and her swimming water must be very clean.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:14 pm   

And for an open wound, any vet should be able to treat that, not just a herp vet. So don't worry about finding a herp vet if it's bad, just get her to any vet for treatment!
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:13 pm   

Clean the wound and apply an anitibiotic ointment like Neosporin. Depending on how bad it is, you might want to keep your turtle out of the water overnight. Make sure the water is kept clean. Repeat applying the ointment daily until the wound starts to heal.

Separate them, or, if the tank is large enough, divide it.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:23 pm   

The skin tore when I went to separate them. I feel like I made it worse, but I panicked.
The wound is a little raw, and there was blood when it first happened, she is still eating and swimming.
I am going to take her tomorrow before work hopefully.
Things I have read said my other turtle wants to mate, but as far as I could tell they are both females.
Will I ever be able to put them back together??
2Sliders
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Nov 21, 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:48 am   

It's doubtful. People underestimate their personalities and think they can be trained. I'd make sure you keep the water extra clean. If it's a small flesh wound, I don't think a vet is necessary... though any shell injury should have veterinary consultation. As mentioned, dry-docking, antibiotic ointment and clean water is a good start.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to Urgent Care

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 101 guests