Habitat - Indoor :: New 120 gallon tank (lots of pics)

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:08 pm   New 120 gallon tank (lots of pics)

Toby finally has his permanent home! I got a 120g tank from www.glasscages.com and my boyfriend made a stand for it. I also bought a new FX5 on ebay. I'm still using a turtle dock for basking, but plan to add a ATBA later on. Here's the "story," if you will, of getting my new tank:

My set-up before (turtle tank on bottom, aquatic frog tank on top):

Image

I bought a stand for the 55g frog tank and moved it to a different wall in the same room.

Image

Image

I found plans online to make a stand for my 120g tank ( http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php ). I then bought all of the 4x4's to make the frame for the tank. I got the lumber at Menard's, a local chain of hardware stores, and they cut all of the pieces to size for free.

Image

My boyfriend assembled the frame of the stand.

Image

Image

Image

Then I bought MDF for the outside of the stand and, once again, my boyfriend did all of the hard work. He attached the pieces, cut holes for the doors, and routed all of the edges to make them look nice. I got the MDF at Lowe's and they also cut all of the pieces to size for free.

Image

Image

Then it was my turn to go to work. I caulked all of the gaps in the frame (free cutting isn't always super exact) for asthetic purposes and then painted the doors and frame black.

Image

Image

Image

We picked up the tank last Saturday, about an hour from my house. I had to borrow my mom's SUV and the tank fit perfectly in the back of it. I must say, the driver of the Glass Cages truck was super nice. He helped everyone load their tanks into their vehicles, even though on their site they say the drivers won't help you move the tanks.

Image

Image

Here's the tank all set-up, and you can see my FX5 underneath, before the doors were put on the stand.

Image

And the finished product. I have to work on the basking area, the position of the lights is not ideal, but I didn't have anywhere else to put them.

Image

Image

And some shots of Toby enjoying his new tank. I got the water temperature perfect when I filled the tank up and he started basking just a few hours after I put him in there.

Image

Image

Image
Toby - RES - adopted in December 2007 - 120g tank - Fluval FX5

Max - Pit Bull/Irish Setter/Dalmatian mix - adopted in March 2009
Lola - Pit Bull mix - adopted in June 2009
User avatar
meltedspork
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Feb 13, 2008
Location: Yorkville, IL, USA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:27 pm   

wow
1 Common Map- Harley
1 Red Ear Slider- Ralpy
1 dog- Pepper Ann
User avatar
taurusgirl
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Jul 12, 2008
Location: Gulfport, MS

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:55 pm   

great job!!!
1 RES: Crush, 7" long 5 years old
1 hedgehog: Sonic, 7 months old
User avatar
francinemarie
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sep 20, 2008
Location: US

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:17 am   

Congratulations on a new tank! Everything looks fantastic!
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:55 am   

its soooooo purrrdddyy!
3 RES : Comet , Einstein, Lotte
2 Leopard Geckos : Jake and Jenny
1 Bichon Frise : Mike

I'm not scared of the dark, I'm scared of whats in it.
User avatar
Lantic
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Sep 15, 2008
Location: California, Orange County

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:35 am   

ITS AMAZING!!!
jameshermanto
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Mar 2, 2009
Location: Indonesia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:51 am   

You are a testament to the fact that you can build anything without needing much! A lot of the hardware stores will cut things for you these days, so all you needed was a drill, which is awesome! It looks great!!

I think from the shot of the overall room, you should make a matching cabinet for your TV set. ;)
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:52 pm   

Wow, you had fun with that.

Beautiful tank, nice job.

That reminds me, I have a new tank set up coming soon, so, I should post up pictures too.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:59 pm   

i give you a round of applause for a great set up. those set ups are really nice
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
User avatar
blackforces get you
 
Posts: 2657
Joined: May 28, 2008
Location: Bronx New York City

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:30 pm   

That looks amazing!! You guys did such a great job with very little materials/tools. It's simplistic but it works perfectly!
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:30 am   

Man I love big tanks like that. Much better than a 120/5 long style. Also you're boys got some long nails!
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:44 pm   

Thanks everyone! I'm very happy with how it turned out, and it cost way less than buying a stand.

TheComputerGremlin wrote:I think from the shot of the overall room, you should make a matching cabinet for your TV set. ;)


Haha, try telling my boyfriend that! I do need a new tv stand, that is for sure.

untsmurf wrote:That looks amazing!! You guys did such a great job with very little materials/tools. It's simplistic but it works perfectly!


Simplistic is exactly right. My boyfriend wasn't totally pleased with how it came out, he messed up some of the edges with the router, but I told him it is a functional stand, not an artistic stand.

Rubicon wrote:Man I love big tanks like that. Much better than a 120/5 long style. Also you're boys got some long nails!


I agree... I much prefer the shorter/wider tanks to the long ones. Not to mention that I wouldn't have been able to fit a long tank in my mom's SUV! And yes, Toby has some long claws, lol.
Toby - RES - adopted in December 2007 - 120g tank - Fluval FX5

Max - Pit Bull/Irish Setter/Dalmatian mix - adopted in March 2009
Lola - Pit Bull mix - adopted in June 2009
User avatar
meltedspork
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Feb 13, 2008
Location: Yorkville, IL, USA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:03 am   

I'm a bit late in this, but it looks great!
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:46 pm   

I agree, looks good. Why MDF? I would've gone with Oak or Pine or plywood even.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:18 pm   

MDF is pretty darn strong, and it is less expensive. It is what is used in subwoofer boxes, and those things are STRONG. Plus, it doesnt have the tendency to warp like solid woods.

Plus, it was painted anyhow.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 57 guests