General Care Discussion :: my turtle ate a BB gun bullet?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:23 pm   my turtle ate a BB gun bullet?

i was letting my turtle walk around the house and she had a bb bullet in her mouth ( and im sure she got it in there herself ) so i tried to use something to get it out and she managed to swallow it :x will she be fine? the bullet wasnt TOO big its the normal bb gun bullet size but not the small ones neither, WOULD SHE BE OK?? SHE HAD EATEN THE ROCKS THAT SIZE IN HER TANK BEFORE AND SHE WOULD POOP THEM OUT BUT IM NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE, IM SO WORRIED PLEASE HELP, SHE IS AROUND 5 INCHES
User avatar
insane
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Dec 12, 2008

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:45 pm   

Well, BB pellets are round. And fairly small. Hopefully she will pass it normally.

In any case, watch her behavior to see if she starts acting sick at all, just in case.

In the future, before you allow your turtle to roam around the house, you should make sure the floor is clean.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:48 pm   

i will...and i did make sure but she got under my brothers computer desk and found one
User avatar
insane
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Dec 12, 2008

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:53 pm   

I'm pretty sure it will pass.......A bb is very smooth and round.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:24 pm   

it will pass but the problem is most turtles eat their own poop and i'm afraid your turtle might eat it again unless u catch him at the right time.
Maltliquor45
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Apr 20, 2009
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:57 pm   

I agree with Maltliquor45, most turtles do eat their own poop. You might want to feed her and then wait for her to poop and then scoop it out with a net or something before she can get to it. Not the best idea, but it's the only thing I can come up with! ;)
TurtleLover_S&B,

Squirt & Bubbles!The cutest turtles you've ever seen!!
User avatar
TurtleLover_S&B
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Sep 9, 2008
Location: Georgia

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:26 am   

I agree that you should definitely be feeding in a separate tub and wait for your turtle to poop. And I know it's gross, but check the poop until you find the bullet.

The other thing that has me slightly worried is poisoning. I don't know anything about bullets, but I asked my husband said they can be made of either copper or lead which might poison your turtle. Unfortunately, the chance of getting poisoned increases because of the small size of your turtle (as compared to humans). I think the chance is still slim, but something to watch for.
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:40 am   

I work at a sports store, and the BBs we carry are copper, not lead. What colour was the BB? If it had a yellowish-gold colour, it's likely copper and hopefully less harmless than lead. If it's more of a dark, silver colour, it's probably lead.
40 Gallon - Freshwater
1 Red Eared Slider Turtle Hatchling (1.5"), Moe
1 Female Electric Yellow Cichlid
1 Demasoni Cichlid
User avatar
pumpkin14
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Jun 11, 2009
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:14 am   

thank you everyone, the bb is orange and i believe its plastic
User avatar
insane
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Dec 12, 2008

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:04 am   

Glad to help! :D
TurtleLover_S&B,

Squirt & Bubbles!The cutest turtles you've ever seen!!
User avatar
TurtleLover_S&B
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Sep 9, 2008
Location: Georgia

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:15 am   

phewww... :wink: hope your turtle will be fine!
*Kiki & Riri ~ 2 Female RES 5' - I lost Riri
* 2 Yellow Bellied Slider - One left
* 1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle - Lost
*Yellow ~ Female Malayan Box Turtle
*Macho Kitty ~ 12 years male DSH Cat - RIP Feb 2012
User avatar
Azfar
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Apr 23, 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:26 am   

I'm pretty sure your turtle will pass it. I mean, everything goes right through them!
"So, are you obsessed with turtles?"
"I would say so.."

* Speedy the manly RES: 4'
* Lola the female RES: 4'
* Longie the Goldfish (7 yrs. old)
* Stevie the Betta (newest member)
User avatar
ShellbyRES16x
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Feb 9, 2009
Location: Michigan, US


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 284 guests