General Care Discussion :: Are turtles affected by loud-ish music?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:07 pm   Are turtles affected by loud-ish music?

I was wondering the other day if turtles are affected by music? I have music on loudspeakers pretty often (2-3 times a day) not blaring out, but loud enough.

Does this bother the turtles?

P.S I've got a parakeet in my room who isn't bothered at all.. Unless some strange noise comes in :P
BSC
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Aug 25, 2009

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:25 pm   

I believe RES don't have especially great hearing abilities, but they are very sensitive to vibrations. I have music playing often, and haven't noticed it effecting my turtles. I'd guess as long as it's not shaking the aquarium glass, they'll be okay.
Corndog
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sep 19, 2009

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:41 pm   

Keep an eye on their behaviour. If they jump off the basking area or swim around frantically when you start the music, it might be bothering them. My stereo is right above my female's tank, and though I don't use it much I've never seen any odd behaviour when I use it.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:00 am   

I noticed today that during the car ride going to the vet, Sticky became frantic when I turned up my music and it was due to the bass vibrations. So yes you are right Corndog about being very sensitive to vibrations.
KoopaTroopa
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Aug 26, 2009
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:22 pm   

I crank up my surround sound a lot, and it doesn't seem to bother my turtle at all. I keep the sub between my recliner and couch, so they absorb most of the vibrations. However, if I bump the table holding the tank, or something similar-he definantly doesn't like it.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my sig is useless. Without my sig, I am useless.
Mech Cb
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Jul 17, 2009
Location: Georgia


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 207 guests