Habitat - Indoor :: Water Plants

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:04 am   Water Plants

So I found somebody who's giving away their fresh water plants and I was wondering if any of these would be ok in the tank with the turtle - I wouldn't want them to be toxic!

-crypts
-java moss
-anubias nana

Thanks in advance.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
User avatar
vear
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sep 2, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:39 pm   

I know java moss is turtle-edible, although I recently put some in my tanks and they didn't seem interested in it, and it pretty much just all ended up stuck to the filter.

I googled it, and found that crypts can release a type of poison when they're stressed, I would avoid them.

Couldn't find anything bad about anubias, except that it's slow growing, so likely your turtles will eat it before it gets established.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:50 am   

I think most fresh water plants are good for turtles. But if you are not sure your local pet store will know. I read somewhere that water lilies have nutrients that are good for turtles. I put one in the tank and my turtle ate it right down to the root within minutes, so they like them but they will not last long.
Twilite25
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Aug 7, 2009
Location: NM

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:04 pm   

i got the same thing bulldog got, but i didnt look up the moss since he had experience with it
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 162 guests