General Care Discussion :: Fish in Turtle Tank

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:49 pm   Fish in Turtle Tank

I was looking around at some of the forms and saw a few photos of ppls tanks. Some have fih in them. I am thinking of doing this. Would my turtle eat the fish? and what kind can I get?
1 Female RES - Herbie
2 Labrador Retriever - Presley & Bailey
1 Black Cat - Shadow
1 Grey Brown Patched Tabby Cat - Molly


"At any givin time I can change my mind of what I want and how I feel. Its a woman's prerogative." -- me
User avatar
blueeyes082
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Jun 18, 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:57 pm   

Turtle will eat any fish.
1 RES
1 convict
2 black neon tetra
3 Minnow
Lilsaint
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 28, 2009
Location: Oak Park, CA USA

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:33 am   

With any fish you put in always expect your turtle to get it one day. Some fish make it only second or mins in a tank with a turtle. but some make it years with out being eaten and then just like that the turtle gets them. Its all luck on whether or not the fish will make it.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:45 am   

I have quite a few fish with my turtle. They've been in there a couple of months. So far, he's only eaten one... that's because the fish decided to swim right by Tomi's mouth. Dumb fish. I stocked the tank with fish that get along with one another and can live around the same temperature as the turtle (so no goldfish!) He really shows no interest in them, but it really depends on the turtle. I also made sure I bought cheap fish because they'll probably get eaten one day... lol.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
User avatar
vear
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sep 2, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:23 am   

I keep over 30 fish with 5 turtles and lose them very rarely, mostly when they get sick or stressed the turtles instinctually eat them. In my experience the best defense for small fish is numbers. It seems if you drop a single feeder in it will get eaten in seconds but if you drop 20 feeders in the turtles get distracted from chasing one by another and so on until they give up. When I was adding a feeder every two days the turtles would have it eaten in 30 seconds, now that I add 20 at a time they might eat one every 3 or 4 days. Vear can back me up on this strategy working as they do the same thing. You don't have to buy plain rosy reds either, there are many different feeders in abundance that look a lot better than rosy reds. I have also had luck keeping several keeper fish without the turtles getting them. Size doesn't matter but speed does, if you have a 75gal or above tank try some 3 or 4 bala sharks. Pictus catfish seem to survive well as I've had a pair for a year in with my turtles and no problems. Plecos are supposedly dangerous to turtles but my turtle has bitten them right on the face and they swim away like it was nothing. Senegal Bichirs are also very good hiders and if you give them hiding spots they will survive. Plus my turtle has bitten them right in the middle and they just shake free and never have any wounds. A 8 inch turtle would probably kill one but a 3 or 4 inch just doesn't have the jaws for it. I have 2 african cichlids and a bluegill which are just to fast in a big tank for the turtles. They will start circling the turtles when they are being chased, swimming circles around them until they pinwheel theirselves dizzy and give up. You can do it but the top comment is very true, don't put a fish in there that cost you $20 because there is a great chance it will get eat. Don't add just one fish to a fishless tank as the turtles will probably eat it. If any fish gets sick or injured the turtle will get it. Depending on how big your tank is I would try 10 fancy guppies or swordtails mostly females all at once. If you don't lose them all in a few days then try some bigger and better stuff.
6'x18''x20''100g 1 4in RES male 1 2in YBS Female
3 baby Peninsula Cooters
2 Senegal Bichirs
2 pictus cats
1 juvie bluegill
30 swordtails and guppies
10 ghost shrimp
User avatar
jay2487
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Dec 10, 2009
Location: Plant City Fl

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:09 am   

I've got about two dozen guppies in my 50gal at the moment with my turtle - he's never eaten one.

You should never put any fish in a turtle tank that you want to keep as actual pets, though. Any fish has the potential to be eaten once you put them in.
User avatar
gwennie
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Aug 23, 2009
Location: Aotearoa


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 216 guests