General Care Discussion :: angel fish

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:38 pm   angel fish

I just put an angel fish in the tank with my res and the turtle is trying to attack it and I'm guessing he wants to eat it....was this a bad idea adding an angel fish??? I bought like an hour ago cause it looks nice in an aquarium
wbedoya
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Dec 30, 2009

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:06 pm   

Your turtle thinks you just tossed a candy bar into his tank! Since RES naturally eat fish, they aren't going to tell the difference between a feeder guppy or a $6 angelfish...sooner or later your turtle will eat it. If you would like it to stay alive, you are going to want to take it out of the tank immediately!
Zater: Red Ear Slider
Scout: Western Painted Turtle
Rufus: Eastern Painted Turtle
Hatcher: African Side-Neck Turtle
rangergirl56m
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Aug 27, 2008

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:39 pm   

Most likely it will get eaten....
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:35 pm   

Nevermind guys....They seem to get along just fine....I'm sure eventually the turtle will eat it as it will grow but I'm now kind of expecting it....lol...right now the fish is kind of big for the turtle....my res is 1 1/3 of an inch and the angel is around an inch so...
RES 1 and 1/3 of an inch -- PERDY
5 guppies
1 black molly
1 angel fish
wbedoya
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Dec 30, 2009

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:16 pm   

w-ya Your turtle will eat it no matter what size. It will get a piece at a time until it cannot swim and then, yum yum. HA
Things come to those who wait, - Just remember, someone probably got there first!
mike hill
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Mar 29, 2009

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:25 am   

An expensive snack...let me just warn you, a larger fish just means a MESS to clean up (I let my turtle have a fish too big to eat whole and he pulled its insides out and bit off its head. I'm not particularly 'sensitive' as I have a number of animals who eat live prey, but it grossed me out!!!)
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
User avatar
imderanged
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Dec 25, 2007

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:44 pm   

good thing the angel fish will go to heaven and it's already an angel. ;)
I have two female red ear sliders.
Chimpy - 5.5 inches
Chompy- 6.0 inches
Both were born about 7/2007
Got them -- 9/2007
User avatar
bradmeisel
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Nov 2, 2008
Location: Flushing, New York

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:24 pm   

In my experience size does not matter but if the fish is fast enough eventually the turtle will give up chasing and let it be. That doesn't mean your turtle won't take a fin off at anytime if the fish ventures to close. If you aren't worried about the fish and are willing to sacrifice the $6 then I say go for it. I have over 30 fish in with my turtles at any given time and never lose any fish that I didn't want to lose. Never have tried an Angel though so I'm curious to see how it works out.

But as imderanged said, letting a RES eat a fish twice it's size is quite a nasty thing to watch. It will spread the fish from one side of the tank to another and rip it to pieces. You definitely wouldn't want to let it eat the whole thing either.
6'x18''x20''100g 1 4in RES male 1 2in YBS Female
3 baby Peninsula Cooters
2 Senegal Bichirs
2 pictus cats
1 juvie bluegill
30 swordtails and guppies
10 ghost shrimp
User avatar
jay2487
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Dec 10, 2009
Location: Plant City Fl


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 233 guests