General Care Discussion :: Is My Turtle Shedding

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:50 am   Is My Turtle Shedding

I Have Two Nearly 1.5 Inch RES (As Most Of You Already Know) ... I See One Of Turtles Is Shedding.. I mean A White Thin Layer Of His Shell Is Visible.... I was Thinking He's Too Young To Shed... And They Bask, Eat, And Are Very Active.... And Can I Give Them A Soak In Dilute Potassium Permanganate Solution ??? I Give A Soak To My Star Tort Every Month..It Keeps It Odour Free And Kills All Parasites... .Is It Ok With Turtles?
proud Owner Of:
2 RES
1 Star Tortoise
1 Indian Flapshell Turtle
User avatar
Rishabh
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mar 3, 2011
Location: Karwar,Karanataka,India
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:18 pm   Re: Is My Turtle Shedding

They shed when they grow. Younger turtles grow quicker so they'll shed more. I'm not sure about the other stuff, but if your RES is healthy and shedding he probably doesn't need any unnecessary treatment.
Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump
The only dumb question is one not asked.
Love of Animals
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Jan 5, 2011
Location: Yorktown, NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:42 pm   Re: Is My Turtle Shedding

One More Concern is That One Of My RES Has Scratched His Shell By Getting Stuck By Decor.. I Removed The Decor Now... But Do Scratches Need Any Treatment..Its Just A Slight One....
proud Owner Of:
2 RES
1 Star Tortoise
1 Indian Flapshell Turtle
User avatar
Rishabh
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mar 3, 2011
Location: Karwar,Karanataka,India
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:32 am   Re: Is My Turtle Shedding

If it's it not deep, it should be OK. Do keep an eye on it though, pits and injuries are where infections can start.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:59 am   Re: Is My Turtle Shedding

Ok... Thanks For Replying... Its Not Deep.... And Can I Take My Turtles Out In The Garden If The Surface's Not Rough? .. For UVB... I Keep My RES Tank beside A Window... Where There's Sunlight For About 6 Hrs A Day.... And The Sunlight Only Falls On The Basking Dock Area Of The Tank..Nearly Half The Tank... I'm Trying To Find A UVB Light Here..But Its Too Hard To Find It In India...
proud Owner Of:
2 RES
1 Star Tortoise
1 Indian Flapshell Turtle
User avatar
Rishabh
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mar 3, 2011
Location: Karwar,Karanataka,India
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:26 pm   Re: Is My Turtle Shedding

Yes you can take your turtle out, but make sure you provide constant supervision and keep other pets away.

A tank by the window is not a reliable way to provide UVB and will likely heat up the tank very quickly.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:46 am   Re: Is My Turtle Shedding

Glass will also filter out UBV if the window is shut.
Nikita the RES
User avatar
richieboy
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Feb 13, 2011
Location: New York
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:29 am   Re: Is My Turtle Shedding

The Sunlight Only Falls On The Basking Dock... Its Not Even 1/4 Of The Tank And All Sunlight Falls On The Basking Dock As Its Very Large... Its Made Of A Ceramic Tile And Is Heated.. So I Never Experienced Heating...... My Sliders Are Always On The Basking Dock,..... And I Know That Glass Filters Out UVB .... The Windows Are Open During The Day...
proud Owner Of:
2 RES
1 Star Tortoise
1 Indian Flapshell Turtle
User avatar
Rishabh
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mar 3, 2011
Location: Karwar,Karanataka,India
Gender: Male


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 464 guests