General Care Discussion :: Is there anything glaringly wrong with her?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:40 pm   Is there anything glaringly wrong with her?

I found a couple of pictures of Frida Kahlo that I took about a month after I got her. She is/was in hard water so there is a white haze on her dry shell. Is anything there anything else of concern in the pictures. I realize that they are not that good...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/83 ... es043.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/82 ... es042.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/82 ... es042.jpg/

If you're not familiar with her history, she was given to me as a land turtle. She had been out of water for months. She lived in someone's living room, under the couch. For several weeks after I got her, carpet fibers were constantly coming out of her shell around her arms, legs and neck. She is also missing a left hind limb.
texasreb
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sep 20, 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:10 pm   Re: Is there anything glaringly wrong with her?

I can't tell much, but she looks OK. How does she look now?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:41 am   Re: Is there anything glaringly wrong with her?

I haven't had her completely out of the water and dried off since then, but I think she looks fine. There is quite a bit less of the white residue on her because I pulled out some chalky substrate I put into the tank originally. She's eating, swimming, basking and generally acting completely normal. I also think she's a bit bigger. I don't know how much growth can occur in a 4-5 month span, but she seems longer and wider than she was.
texasreb
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sep 20, 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:09 pm   Re: Is there anything glaringly wrong with her?

She looks fine to me also. You also probably have a rio rande res which is just a color phase of res that texas has. They just have better coloring then the average res which yours certainly does. Probably not that much growth occured as she looks pretty big.


Image
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:28 pm   Re: Is there anything glaringly wrong with her?

Interesting to know that there are color variations. I thought her coloring was a bit diferent than the other RES I've seen pictures of, but I wasn't sure. I'm also glad to hear that the difference isn't due to poor health.

You can't tell in my photos, but her "red ears" are actually two distinct patches of red rather than one large patch on each side. When I first got her they were more orange than red. Now they are a bright orange-red color much like the muscle car color, Competition Red.
texasreb
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sep 20, 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:31 pm   Re: Is there anything glaringly wrong with her?

Post more pictures when you can when she is nice and clean. She must look fantastic!
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
User avatar
Diamondbacks4Life
Moderator
 
Posts: 2349
Joined: Apr 4, 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:00 pm   Re: Is there anything glaringly wrong with her?

The next time I do a full tank clean, I'll get a few new pictures of her. She's a pretty girl.
texasreb
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sep 20, 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Gender: Female


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 152 guests