General Care Discussion :: Fungal infection?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:24 pm   Fungal infection?

Hello, I noticed a brown spot on my turtle's plastron just below his neck. I've attached an image. It's not the best shot but I circled the spot I'm referring to. Fungal infection? If so, how to treat?

Also, I've noticed that he doesn't really bask. He just swims. Should he be removed from the tank to dry occasionally?

Thanks.
Attachments
turtlespot.JPG
baba
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Jul 30, 2012

Post Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:10 pm   Re: Fungal infection?

I think it is more important to find out why he isn't basking than to take him out to dry. What temp is his basking area? What temp is the water?

I'll leave the shell questions to others. :) I am still learning.
1 Eastern Painted (maybe 1.5yr) - Gurgi
1 Bearded Dragon - Sawyer (1yr)
1 Standard Rat Terrier (11yrs) - Samson
1 Miniature Pinscher Mix (3yrs) - Spike
1 Parakeet (6yrs) - Choochoo
User avatar
Gurgi's Mom
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Jul 29, 2012
Location: Rockville, Maryland
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:03 am   Re: Fungal infection?

Could it be an injury? Can you take a picture of that area when it's dry?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:38 am   Re: Fungal infection?

So, I got home last night and he launched himself off his rock and back into the water. First time I've seen him out of the water. Water chemistry looked fine so maybe he just started coming out or maybe I just haven't been around when he's out. I'll be setting up a camera shortly to see how much he comes out.

I'll try to get a picture of that area dry.
baba
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Jul 30, 2012

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:02 pm   Re: Fungal infection?

There's another red spot:
turtlespot-2.jpg
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:35 pm   Re: Fungal infection?

I checked the temp on the basking doc and it wasn't much different than the water temp (both about 80). I lowered the water temp a couple degrees (76-78) and lowered the light (100 watt MVB). The dock is a good 10 degrees warmer than the water now and he's a basking machine.

Are there typical distances to hang MVBulbs from the dock since they're also UVA and UVB or should I just set the distance by the temp?
baba
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Jul 30, 2012

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:17 am   Re: Fungal infection?

There will be minimal distances for MVB, and those details will be specific to the bulb you use. There should be instructions a long with it.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 190 guests