General Care Discussion :: Need Help Identifying Turtle

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:27 am   Re: Need Help Identifying Turtle

That's great news. RI is a pain esp at that size.
Kozakura
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Jan 5, 2014
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:20 pm   Re: Need Help Identifying Turtle

In relationship to my first post in this thread, in the first picture he has two white lines on his shell.
He's had them since I got him and I'm not sure if it's something I should be worried about?
3 turtles- Nemo, Pockets, Nims
Two dogs - Nibbles, Ruby.
Three cats - Eli, Boots, George.
Two donkeys - EllieMay, Dorothy.
I miss you, Kinsey-Lyn..
User avatar
BabyNemo
 
Posts: 261
Joined: May 15, 2014
Location: Georgia
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:27 am   Re: Need Help Identifying Turtle

It's hard to see what they are. It could be fungus, a breach in the shell or shell rot.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:28 pm   Re: Need Help Identifying Turtle

steve wrote:It's hard to see what they are. It could be fungus, a breach in the shell or shell rot.

Is it possible that he could've scraped against something in the wild before they found him?
3 turtles- Nemo, Pockets, Nims
Two dogs - Nibbles, Ruby.
Three cats - Eli, Boots, George.
Two donkeys - EllieMay, Dorothy.
I miss you, Kinsey-Lyn..
User avatar
BabyNemo
 
Posts: 261
Joined: May 15, 2014
Location: Georgia
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:48 pm   Re: Need Help Identifying Turtle

Yes. Can you tell us about the texture? Does it feel rough or is in a pit? Is it fuzzy or spotty?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:47 pm   Re: Need Help Identifying Turtle

steve wrote:Yes. Can you tell us about the texture? Does it feel rough or is in a pit? Is it fuzzy or spotty?

It feels a tiny bit rough when I run my finger over it. It's not spotted or fuzzy. They're both about two centimeters long.
3 turtles- Nemo, Pockets, Nims
Two dogs - Nibbles, Ruby.
Three cats - Eli, Boots, George.
Two donkeys - EllieMay, Dorothy.
I miss you, Kinsey-Lyn..
User avatar
BabyNemo
 
Posts: 261
Joined: May 15, 2014
Location: Georgia
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:30 pm   Re: Need Help Identifying Turtle

Then it might be a small breach in the shell.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:52 pm   Re: Need Help Identifying Turtle

steve wrote:Then it might be a small breach in the shell.

What does that mean exactly?
Should I be worried?
3 turtles- Nemo, Pockets, Nims
Two dogs - Nibbles, Ruby.
Three cats - Eli, Boots, George.
Two donkeys - EllieMay, Dorothy.
I miss you, Kinsey-Lyn..
User avatar
BabyNemo
 
Posts: 261
Joined: May 15, 2014
Location: Georgia
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:41 pm   Re: Need Help Identifying Turtle

Can you post clearer / better pics? If it feels rough, it could be a bony layer which should come off, then expose a little flesh that should scab over and heal. If it spreads, then there might be an infection and you'd want some guidance from a herp vet. Just to be CLEAR, I'm just vaguely guessing this based on that it's white and feels "rough".
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:26 am   Re: Need Help Identifying Turtle

steve wrote:Can you post clearer / better pics? If it feels rough, it could be a bony layer which should come off, then expose a little flesh that should scab over and heal. If it spreads, then there might be an infection and you'd want some guidance from a herp vet. Just to be CLEAR, I'm just vaguely guessing this based on that it's white and feels "rough".

I'll have to get better pictures tomorrow. I walked into my room to find three ghost shrimp giving birth and I don't want to bother the tank at all.

I did look at the white marks closer today and it seems like there's lines. Like scratch lines going down towards his back end.
3 turtles- Nemo, Pockets, Nims
Two dogs - Nibbles, Ruby.
Three cats - Eli, Boots, George.
Two donkeys - EllieMay, Dorothy.
I miss you, Kinsey-Lyn..
User avatar
BabyNemo
 
Posts: 261
Joined: May 15, 2014
Location: Georgia
Gender: Female

Previous

Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 283 guests