I have no idea how old he is.
His shell measures 6 1/2 x 4 inches
As I said in my introduction, I have some ideas and I've gotten conflicting info from his previous owner, my peers and the geniuses at Petco and Petsmart...
He came to me with a 20gal tank and several accessories, such as a filthy filter and horriblly undersized basking platform.
Thus far, I have:
Gotten lots of large rocks and placed them at one side for a basking area.At first, he had a hard time getting up, but I've rearranged them several times
Purchased a larger filter, heater and nice basking light
Gave him some goldfish, per the kid at Petsmart (which he didn’t know how to catch at first). He seemed to enjoy them
Than, I started investing time; I’ve cleaned the tank once a week. I’ve monitored his eating habits, because at first, he wouldn’t eat the pellets, but I think he was just adjusting. I've taken him out of the tank to explore my room and now that it’s warming up, I’ve taken him outside to bask in the grass…
I also experimented with water levels, because he was kept in no more than 3 or 4 inch deep water his whole life. When I filled the tank to 5 or 6 inches, it looked like he didn’t know how to swim. Now, he rests his face on the glass and kicks.
Now, he let’s me pet him and he doesn’t immediately hide when I let him out in my room.
Question #1
Is there anything wrong with how I am currently keeping him and treating him?
I’ve read in the forums that live goldfish may not be good for him and I’ve seen a lot about water levels and basking areas
Question #2
For a RES his size, what will be the best tank size to upgrade to?
I’ve looked at 29 longs and I’ve looked into a 40gal, 36Lx18Hx15D
I’m not worried about spending the cash to give him a good home, I just want the opinions of dedicated owners, rather than the family who was mishandling him or the store kid who’s trying to sell stuff and is likely stoned…
ANY help will be greatly appreciated
I will also be taking and posting some pics ths weekend as soon as I have a bit more free time…
Michael



