My best friend's mother asked me to turtle-sit for Napoleon's brother, who I've been wheedling to adopt for months now. I've been trying unsuccessfully to get in touch with her son, whose turtle it actually is. When I got there to pick him up tonight she told me that she had called her son and convinced him to let me take him! His name is currently Slowpoke, but it may change...Napoleon used to be Speedy, but I think they should each have their own names rather than be part of a pair. I'm trying to leave him alone and not stress him out too much at this point, but I've tried to give him a look over without picking him up. I'm fairly certain he's male, he has a giant dinosaur tail and decent sized claws. I'm guessing his SCL at about 5 inches. He actually doesn't look too bad, given the circumstances. His skin is shedding massively (definitely not due to water temps being too high, his water is currently at 68 degrees, which I'm assuming is the high point after a day with the basking light on), and he is really really fat. I thought he was a lot bigger than Napoleon, but after holding the tape measure up to him I think his shell might actually be a bit smaller, he's just fat so he looks huge! His eyes look a little red, so I'll start him with eye drops, and my main concern is that I'm almost certain he has RI (not surprising given the lack of heating) because he whistles. Loudly. His shell looks good at a glance, but I won't know for sure until I can pick him up, and he's currently slathered with Vitashell, so I'll have to wipe that off. I'm having difficulty gauging his personality, he's definitely more mellow than Napoleon, and he's not shy...he doesn't hide from me when I'm at the tank, but he does seem to hang out under his rock bridge even when I'm not there.
Anyway, input is welcome!!! Suggestions for any of the issues mentioned, concerns, name suggestions etc... It's not quite so intimidating after having gone through everything with Napoleon, but the excessive shedding worries me a bit, since I've never heard of it being caused by anything but high temps. Could it be a fungus or something? My plan is to keep him in the 10 gallon until we find a bigger tank (hopefully within the week) and work on raising his temperature slowly, adding a water conditioner, adding more water (he's in about 4 inches right now, which is at least better than the 1 inch the last time I saw him), starting eye drops, cutting way back on the reptomin, getting a uvb lamp, and taking him to the vet on Thursday. If you can think of anything else I should do immediately (before necessarily getting him into a new ideal setup) please let me know!



