Habitat - Indoor :: Moving... how long can he stay out of the water?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:24 pm   Moving... how long can he stay out of the water?

I'm moving in a little over a week, and I have a small carrying case for my turtle. I remember hearing that you should put a damp cloth in with them so that they can hide, but how long can I keep him like this?

I'm moving about four hours away, depending on what the traffic is like, but I don't think I'll be able to wait until the last minute to drain out his tank. It also won't be ready as soon as I get home. I would have to fill it back up with water and wait for the temperature, etc, to be ok.

Is there anything else I should plan on? Should I put a cover over his carrying case? It's clear plastic. Kinda like the things you see hermit crabs in.
User avatar
Billy Black
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Aug 25, 2006
Location: Virginia

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:31 pm   

You'd be set for a good long time like that. I wouldn't make a regular practice of it but you can dry dock a turtle overnight and be ok. Since he's going to be awake through it I'd do the towel thing and maybe mist him every once in a while with a spray bottle or place him in a small dish of water for a few minutes smack dab in the middle of your moving time.
Ruby~ Chihuahua
Albert~ Goldfish
Preston and Steve~ Baby RES turtles
Petey and Polly~ the Plecos
User avatar
urbancleopatra
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Jun 5, 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:33 pm   

Ya 4hrs is nothing if you give it some moisture or a mid travel snack.
When I move next year my little one is going to have to deal with a 16h move....
1 res 5cm/2"
WyredHardware
 
Posts: 201
Joined: May 24, 2007

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:58 pm   

User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests