Habitat - Indoor :: Slowsky's first real home w/pictures

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:09 pm   Slowsky's first real home w/pictures

Hey all, here are some before and after pics of our new 90 gallon home for our rescued turtle Slowsky.

We got her a year ago when she was about the size of a quarter. My girlfriend stole her from her old work who had Slowsky and her brother in one of those little 5 dollar lagoon things with barely any water and no basking light. Slowsky's brother had passed away so we took her asap.

Well she got bigger now so we had to upgrade from our 10 gallon to a 90 gallon.

I'm thinking about adding another fluval 4 plus to replace an old Whisper filter to help aerate the water and it had some of the old good bacteria on the filter to mix with the newer water.

I also have some cork bark flats coming in the mail to make a nice stationary basking sight. Let me know what you all think.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Draax
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mar 7, 2009

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:00 pm   

She looks very happy and that is a big improvement from her old tank!
1 RES Barnie, 4 years old
7 dogs, all rescues (Misty, Chewbacca, Lexus, Toby, Sable, Claree, Harley)
1 cat, Eric
trudykurz
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Nov 4, 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:43 pm   

That certainly is a nice upgrade for her!

Do you have a water heater and basking area? It's sort of hard to see from the angle of the pictures.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:49 pm   

Heater is resting behind the sword plant, and constructed a flimsy basking area for now until the cork bark arrives.

My next concern is boredom... I definitely do not want to get another RES for the risk of fighting so my question would be is there any way to provide entertainment for a 1 - 1.5 year old RES? I was thinking some small but not small enough to chomp fish.
Draax
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mar 7, 2009

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:57 pm   

I would also consider getting a canister filter that can hold biomedia. Or if you're set on getting another 4+ do the Fluval 4+ Biomax mod.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:01 am   

Draax wrote:Heater is resting behind the sword plant, and constructed a flimsy basking area for now until the cork bark arrives.

My next concern is boredom... I definitely do not want to get another RES for the risk of fighting so my question would be is there any way to provide entertainment for a 1 - 1.5 year old RES? I was thinking some small but not small enough to chomp fish.


I think about all fish are small enough to chomp. If they cant swallow something whole, theyll just rip it to pieces.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:43 pm   

Very nice upgrade! I'm sure she'll be very happy!

Is that a decoration in the far left hand side of the tank? It looks like a fish tail or something. Looks cool!

For entertainment, you can put some large river rocks in for her to push around. For the first little while though I'm sure she'll be entertained enough just checking out the new space!

I second what Rubicon said about a canister filter. There's much more room for media, and usually higher flow too. I switched from waterfall to canister filters a couple of years ago, and I'll never go back.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:56 pm   

It looks like you have real plants in there (or very realistic fake ones :-) ). Plants are a great addition to turtle tanks if you don't mind the shredded plant bits all over the tank.

My two turtles both have pretty bare tanks, each have one "ornament" and a few river rocks to push around. I figured my male would like something to flutter at but truthfully he flutters at one section of the aquarium background. So I don't think turtles need too much entertainment- they'll find their own if they want it.

A few rosy reds or minnows provide some exercise and a nice snack once in a while.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 57 guests