Habitat - Indoor :: Nikos new temporary home...

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:53 am   

I think that the eggcrate will work fine. The stuff I have is really quite strong. Also, quite flexible if long enough.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:22 pm   

I've never actually weighed my guys, but Frankie is pretty hefty.

I thought the egg crate would hold up (supported on three sides by the frame), but after a couple of weeks, I noticed she had cracked it down the middle :lol: It's easy enough to fix - I just stuck a scrap piece of plexiglass under the egg crate. The ramp is still just egg crate, and although it flexes when she climbs up, it hasn't broken yet.

I started out with silicone on the ramp for Frankie, and hot glue for Ralph, but I've supplemented it with zip ties, since one end was coming undone.

For width, if 4" looks good now, then it should be fine for a while. As long as he's got room on either side for his legs when he's climbing up, it'll be good.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:55 am   

Here's the new platform for Nikos new temp tank... I used some shelf liner so this way Niko cant get scratched or anything on parts of the eggcrate below the liner. I used zip ties to hold it all together. The only thing I need to do now is figure out how to keep the ramp and its current angle so it doesnt shift.

Another thing I did was also zip tie some extra liner aorund the bottom of the ramp to the back of it so if Niko decides to take a swim into the bottom of the ramp he/she wont hurt the head much.

Image
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:08 am   

Looks nice! Shelf liner is a great idea.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:52 am   

Caphits wrote:Looks nice! Shelf liner is a great idea.
Ya, but like I said my only real remaining problem here is figuring out how to keep the ramp at it's current angle. Between Niko climbing all over it and water movement it wont exactly stay still.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:16 pm   

How about some sort of plastic.....thing, that you might find at a hardware store. You could use it to support the angle. Sorry for being so ambiguous...

Like some sort of rigid plastic, that you could bend with heat. I dont have any real examples. I would just go to a hardware, or building supply store, and see what they have.
Cap-hits, not Cafits.
User avatar
Caphits
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Wyoming

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:02 pm   

counter balance with some decorations that will equal around Niko's weight? like a see-saw.
3 RES : Comet , Einstein, Lotte
2 Leopard Geckos : Jake and Jenny
1 Bichon Frise : Mike

I'm not scared of the dark, I'm scared of whats in it.
User avatar
Lantic
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Sep 15, 2008
Location: California, Orange County

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:45 pm   

Not bad ideas actually heh, I have an idea I wana try but what I'm after is to get the position to stick (no see saw). But ya those are def thigns to look at ;-)
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:03 pm   

I support mine with a piece of vinyl tubing looped through the egg crate on one side of the ramp, and then tied to part of the basking area. Here's a pic because it's hard to explain:
Image

That's pretty much all that holds it up. You could also loop it to a suction cup on the outside of the tank (I had min supported like that for a while)
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:56 pm   

Thats actually a nice idea... Also, I made my last payment on the custom stand and dude said hed be mailing it either this week or monday. So I'll have more to show off next week heh.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 70 guests